Technology & Science

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Technology & Science

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Mar 2016, 18:46

Role of women in technology:

https://coderfactoryacademy.com/posts/a ... -our-world

Nice read.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Apr 2016, 21:47

Electronic chauffers or guardian angels? Anything to reduce the 1.2m deaths on the road each year.

http://www.itwire.com/science-news/auto ... oyota.html
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 09 Apr 2016, 08:48

HBS Guy wrote:Electronic chauffers or guardian angels? Anything to reduce the 1.2m deaths on the road each year.

http://www.itwire.com/science-news/auto ... oyota.html

This is an extremely important consideration.....

Another issue is that Toyota believes people want to retain the fun of driving.

I would further add that most people naturally want to feel as though they are in control. The guardian angel-type tech looks like the way to go, though autonomous vehicles will also have a place I think.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2016, 08:56

Will be fascinating to see how cars develop! Low power lasers, will prevent you from going through an intersection of it would result in a collision. Already have cameras in the rear to aid in reversing and parking.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 09 Apr 2016, 08:57

Yep, things keep advancing in leaps and bounds!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2016, 09:05

Dash cams to show what happened in an accident are already here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 09 Apr 2016, 17:33

HBS Guy wrote:Dash cams to show what happened in an accident are already here.

A black box for cars :b :jump .
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2016, 17:53

Pretty much. Trip computers next? Car dobs you in to the cops for speeding, drink driving?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Apr 2016, 19:17

Wow! Rocket launched from Cape Canaveral to resupply the ISS.

The first stage engine, after lifting the rocket beyond the atmosphere and disengaging from the rocket slowed itself down before re-entering the atmosphere then landed on the drone ship as planned.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Apr 2016, 07:00

Driverless cars? Old news!

Try—driverless semi trailers! Already here:
http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/time-to-go-nuclear

As I predicted years ago. Humans get tired, distracted, bored, take drugs ( :Hi IQ) and drink ( :Hi again IQ) while computers don’t. Computers do crash—need more than one computer? Still need a driver to change a flat tire etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Cherie » 18 Apr 2016, 07:45

HBS Guy wrote:Driverless cars? Old news!

As I predicted years ago. Humans get tired, distracted, bored, take drugs ( :Hi IQ) and drink ( :Hi again IQ) while computers don’t. Computers do crash—need more than one computer? Still need a driver to change a flat tire etc.

He not only drinks but is also a dirty pedophile..
Honor to God.

Loyalty to the Country Woman's Association.
Cherie
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Apr 2016, 14:02

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Apr 2016, 06:44

A.G wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Driverless cars? Old news!

He not only drinks but is also a dirty pedophile..

He is possibly the most cretinous creature to ever disgrace the human race :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 05 May 2016, 14:20

I was right and IQ wrong re driverless cars.

I was also right and IQ wrong that as newer wireless technologies emerge they would more and more be fixed not mobile. The reason for this is that as shorter and shorter wavelengths are used they are more and more like light and can only travel in straight lines. This para shows I was right:

All the talk of 5G multi-gig wireless speeds means that somewhere or another you have to have multi-gig fiber connectivity for cellular backhaul at the very least. Multi-gig wireless speeds require pretty much line-of-sight cell towers due to the frequencies involved and more of them. Given the adventures of building out 4G LTE networks, putting in 5G cells at sufficient densities and locations is likely to be another level of challenges.

http://www.techzone360.com/topics/techzone/articles/2016/04/25/420493-verizons-tightrope-between-burning-copper-bridges-building-new.htm

Even with 5G towers at 1000m distances from each other congestion and lack of spectrum means even 5G is nowhere near as fast as FTTH/FTTDp. 5G is MUCH more affected by rain than 2, 3 and 4G.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 May 2016, 09:42

Hitler’s unbreakable code and the Bletchley Park people who broke it:

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/hitlers-unbreakable-encryption-machine-and-the-bletchley-park-machines-which-broke-the-code/2/

And then they persecuted Alan Turing for being homosexual!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 08 May 2016, 08:42

HBS Guy wrote:I was right and IQ wrong re driverless cars.

I was also right and IQ wrong that as newer wireless technologies emerge they would more and more be fixed not mobile. The reason for this is that as shorter and shorter wavelengths are used they are more and more like light and can only travel in straight lines. This para shows I was right:

All the talk of 5G multi-gig wireless speeds means that somewhere or another you have to have multi-gig fiber connectivity for cellular backhaul at the very least. Multi-gig wireless speeds require pretty much line-of-sight cell towers due to the frequencies involved and more of them. Given the adventures of building out 4G LTE networks, putting in 5G cells at sufficient densities and locations is likely to be another level of challenges.

http://www.techzone360.com/topics/techzone/articles/2016/04/25/420493-verizons-tightrope-between-burning-copper-bridges-building-new.htm

Even with 5G towers at 1000m distances from each other congestion and lack of spectrum means even 5G is nowhere near as fast as FTTH/FTTDp. 5G is MUCH more affected by rain than 2, 3 and 4G.

I would really like to hope that within a few months, an event will have occurred that will see a proper NBN back on track. FFS, the stupidity of trashing the logical next step in communications tech for political purposes. Fucking troglodytes :mad .
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2016, 09:08

abbott’s childish desire to wreck what Labor built.

Running fast broadband over Telstra copper (too thin, too rotten( was always a mugs game. Radically underprovisioning the FTTN cabinets while spending a fortune on DOCSIS3.1. in the leafy inner suburbs is class warfare.

We cannot afford stupid games like this anymore!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Kiwigran » 08 May 2016, 09:29

HBS Guy wrote:Dash cams to show what happened in an accident are already here.

We would love a dash cam there are so many idiots on the road these days, you need to cover yourself from them
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!
Kiwigran
puppy

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2016, 11:38

I had a prang in March 86, went through on a green, looked right, looked ahead again, blue streak BANG! My car rolled into the traffic light, snapping the pole.

The cops found “a sort of a witness” and I got blamed for the accident. I was sort of out of my tree—shock changing to reactive depression and could not defend myself. That sort of a witness was up a street, having turned left on the same green I went through. I was immobilised—wrenched back—but saw people clustered around the other car, bet the “sort of a witness” felt sorry for the woman who had run the red light and convinced himself the light was against me.

Would have LOVED a dashcam to show the truth!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 May 2016, 17:38

Well, that was exciting, power out for 2 hours. Took the dog for a walk, power was out along the local main road for a good kilometre. Power just came on again. We had some pretty good gusts here, up to 100kph so I suspect a tree branch fell onto a power line. I had some candles going, not to light anything, just to relieve the gloom. Haven’t had a blackout like that for some years.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 May 2016, 08:42

Just preordered this book from FishPond:

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics
By Carlo Rovelli

THE PHENOMENAL INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER. Everything you need to know about modern physics, the universe and our place in the world in seven enlightening lessons. 'Here, on the edge of what we know, in contact with the ocean of the unknown, shines the mystery and the beauty of the world. And it's breathtaking'. These seven short lessons guide us, with simplicity and clarity, through the scientific revolution that shook physics in the twentieth century and still continues to shake us today. In this mind-bending introduction to modern physics, Carlo Rovelli explains Einstein's theory of general relativity, quantum mechanics, black holes, the complex architecture of the universe, elementary particles, gravity, and the nature of the mind. Not since Richard Feynman's celebrated Six Easy Pieces has physics been so vividly, intelligently and entertainingly revealed.

Should keep the old grey matter going! Nice to get a glimpse as to how physics is progressing.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 14 May 2016, 08:54

Sounds like an interesting read! Contemplating that sort of stuff will definitely keep the brain excercised. Or cause you to have an aneuryism :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 14 May 2016, 11:46

I should be OK, I hope :OMG :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 15 May 2016, 08:59

What sort of country are we and will be when this sort of shit is going on?

A short wikipedia biography runs as follows
“Dr. Church is a graduate from the University of Queensland with a BSc in Physics in 1972. He later obtained a Doctorate of Philosophy in 1979.

Since that time Dr. Church has led a number of programs with CSIRO Division of Oceanography and was Program Leader of the Oceanography Program (now non-existent), Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions; former Project Leader, Leader, Southern Ocean Processes Project (now non-existent), CSIRO Division of Marine and atmospheric Research, Polar Waters Program (now-non-existent), Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre. On an international level, Dr. Church has been the Principal Investigator for the NASA/CNES TOPEX/Poseidon Extended Satellite Mission (which is now dead) since 1996. Dr. Church is a Member of the Australian Institute of Physics.

Currently, Dr. Church is chair of the scientific committee of the World Climate Research Programme studying sea-level rise and is leader of the Sea level Rise Project at the Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre. (2007).”

See more on wiki.

A dumb fucking country is what, one who will be kicked and kicked hard by AGW—is already being kicked by AGW. But I guess that bog business wants less noise, less information about AGW so it can keep making money without having to bother with energy efficiency, renewable energy. Oh, it always works to shoot the messenger, it makes the problem go away :roll
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Aug 2016, 11:46

The Nullabor caves continue to be a treasure trove of fossils:

https://theconversation.com/the-worlds-biggest-cuckoos-once-roamed-the-nullarbor-plain-54050
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic