Technology & Science

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Technology & Science

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Mar 2012, 11:31

Thought we could have a thread for tech, considering this board/community exists because of it.

New iPad out, starting price $539 for 16Gb wifi only option.

Wifi would be great, could post while brewing, in bed, on the ’loo etc!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Technology

Postby mantra » 08 Mar 2012, 19:13

New iPad out, starting price $539 for 16Gb wifi only option.

I heard today that the iPad2 is down to $400. It still has the 16GB, but it's lost some other capacity. This is because a 4G iPad is out now.

THE world's best-selling tablet computer received a major overhaul today, becoming the first Apple product to connect to next-generation 4G mobile networks and gaining a high-definition screen, more graphical grunt, voice dictation and a significantly better camera for the same price as the old model.

But Australians will not be able to use the new iPad’s new speedy 4G connection, which is incompatible with the country’s only 4G network, when it arrives in local stores on March 16.

Apple chief executive Tim Cook revealed the third iPad tablet in San Francisco early this morning, in a performance that will be judged as his first real test as head of the company after he took over from founder Steve Jobs.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/techno ... 6292925735
mantra
mountain lion

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Mar 2012, 19:19

No point buying the 4G option—uses frequencies (700 & 2100MHz from memory) not used for 4G here.

Fuck wireless, it sucks, often congested, affected by weather etc etc yuck!

With the NBN, wifi router—compute anywhere!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Mar 2012, 21:58

Fuck my machine or my connection is slow!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 10 Mar 2012, 22:07

Never fear - the NBN is at hand :purple :yellow
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Mar 2012, 07:33

Just a few years to go to get it here :grn hehehehehehhe

I stir my useless member—Andrew fucking Southcott the Useless—re what he is doing to get the NBN into Boothby. Of course, he never does a fucking thing!

It was hilarious last election: Chris Pyne, who has never had a policy idea, Southcott the Useless and Jamie Briggs the Staffer, in election ads—they knew how to fix the Murray you know. Oh yeah, not an idea in their fucking useless heads!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2012, 10:28

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2012, 11:15

Use of connected smart whiteboards to broaden pupils’ learning experience. The NBN will allow a LOT more of this as its huge bandwidth, its vastly higher upload speeds in particular, allows higher definition 2 way communication.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2012, 21:38

Thankfully whatever was wrong with the stupid wireless so-called broadband seems to have sorted itself.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 12 Mar 2012, 21:53

HBS Guy wrote:Use of connected smart whiteboards to broaden pupils’ learning experience. The NBN will allow a LOT more of this as its huge bandwidth, its vastly higher upload speeds in particular, allows higher definition 2 way communication.

Those smartboards are great as they are - but once the NBN is connected, they will be mind-blowing!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2012, 22:04

What will really be revolutionary is the high UPLOAD speed. That is one reason Truffles is lying about HFC being useful as part of a LNP broadband substitute: abysmal upload speed. HFC is also congested to buggery! DSL and HFC are yesteryears technology. FTTH is 21stC technology.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: Technology & Science

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2012, 09:17

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/s ... 1uwil.html

WHEN Sydney geneticist John Mattick suggested junk DNA was anything but rubbish he was challenging an assumption that had underpinned genetics for 50 years ...

And tomorrow he will become the first Australian honoured with the Chen Award for distinguished academic achievement in human genetic and genomic research, awarded by the Human Genome Organisation...

In humans, more than 95 per cent of the genome contains billions of letters that do not make proteins, called non-coding DNA. ''When people bumped into all this DNA that didn't make proteins they thought it must be junk,'' he said. But Professor Mattick felt it was unlikely that useless material would survive hundreds of millions of years of evolution.

He found that the non-protein-coding sections of DNA had a function, to produce RNA ...

Many scientists now believe this RNA is the basis of the brain's plasticity and learning, and may hold the secret to understanding many complex diseases.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Mar 2012, 09:31

Why sealevels are rising (and they are) and why they rise faster at some locations than others:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... 451166.htm

The Qld & Vic floods removed so much water from the seas that sealevel actually dropped around east coast—that a a bloody big whack of water!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Mar 2012, 09:41

Wow, talk about massive computing power!

CERN Large Hadron Collider has 150,000 CPUs in continuous operation but needs more!

http://www.zdnet.com.au/cloud-hunts-for ... 333711.htm
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2012, 06:41

I buy my bit of “high tech” today—my pushbike!

Haven’t been on one for over 30 years—this is gonna be fun!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Mar 2012, 12:23

Oh my God!

Rode the bike home. No wobbling but dear me it felt weird! I was right about the exercise—just a short ride but boy my legs are aching! And one thing I forgot—my bum is sore hahahahahahaha

Gonna take a few rides for me to be comfortable on it, steering the thing isn’t really natural yet. I forgot to get a mirror too, that and some lights can wait a little while, do NOT intend to do long journeys or ride on main roads.

Did you read about my bike ride home? (Science & Tech in OT.)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Mar 2012, 12:54

Rode it for another hour this morning—got a square bum again :bgrin But getting the hang of it, especially the steering!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Neferti » 20 Mar 2012, 16:41

Small things .........
Neferti
Chihuahua

Postby Lefty » 20 Mar 2012, 16:49

An excellent idea JM - riding a bike is very good for keeping your cardi-vascular fitness up and strengthening your legs. The bonus is that unlike jogging, there is no shock on the ankles and knees with each step.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 20 Mar 2012, 16:50

I might add that I've been avoiding taking the elevator to the 7th floor while I'm here, I take the stairs instead.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Neferti » 20 Mar 2012, 16:53

Left of Centre wrote:I might add that I've been avoiding taking the elevator to the 7th floor while I'm here, I take the stairs instead.

A tip. Press the "open door" then the floor number you want to get to and keep fingers on both for a FAST Trip and No Stops.
Neferti
Chihuahua

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Mar 2012, 16:54

I take the stairs in the Central Market—but that is only 2 stories above ground floor :jump Taking stairs not lift is also good for bone calcium density which means no osteoporosis when you get older. Glass of non-homogenised, full cream milk every day also helps with this.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2012, 20:09

After a miserable day where I did little but pity myself jumped on the bike and did a brisk 4Km ride. Feel better! Amazing, walking 400 metres and I would be in pain. On the bike, no prob!

Not wanting to ride on main roads I will get a towbar fitted and a bike holder to go on the tow bar, then can ride the Torrens Linear Park, and the Riesling trail in Clare and take Demi for some long walks that way.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 01 Apr 2012, 21:32

You need to get a towbar for the bike and get an esky with wheels to tow behind on those Clare valley trips :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 01 Apr 2012, 22:02

Yeah! Our neighbor in Holland had a boat, a wooden dingy I guess and towed that to s-Gravenhage (aka The Hague) somewhere. Have seen some here, dunno who makes them.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Next

Return to Off Topic