Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: DonDeeHippy

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2019, 10:43

Something like this:

Should let me prune and pick the vines growing over the top of the pergola! Need a ladder to get on—but not WORKING from the ladder.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 18 Dec 2019, 18:32

HBS Guy wrote:Something like this:

Should let me prune and pick the vines growing over the top of the pergola! Need a ladder to get on—but not WORKING from the ladder.

I've got one you can have for $50
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2019, 19:09

Be nice to have a little cherry picker, alas $$$
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Dec 2019, 06:59

Posts for the new row of perry pears and for the vines along the back will go in today!

I hadn’t been happy about the cider apples. There was a fair bit of wasted space to the left of the rows and I was wondering how much horizontal space a tree pruned as I had to keep them low would take up. I was also a bit pissed off about the fact I would have 27 pear trees and only 9 cider apples. Now I will have 20 cider apples and a Cox Orange Pippin eating apple, the best eating apple by far! Key was reading that an espaliered apple tree would need 3.5m space—mine would take up less as more radically pruned—and I could grow wine grapes as well along the back fence and the pergolas! Nice mix fruit to eat and to ferment!

And any space is just what is needed for the trees to get sun and a path for me to walk along to tend to the trees: spray (organic sprays not chemical systemic poisons) prune/train, to thin and pick fruit. It was really nice to read that the thinning of bunches of grapes while still unripe meant I could make my own verjuice! How neat is that! And I can make verjuice from unripe apples and pears thinned out too!

2021 understory plants go in.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2019, 11:24

Received a book today:

“The organic Backyard Vineyard”

About growing wine grapes and making wine. Try and read the growing bits before I leave.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jan 2020, 13:37

Hard work this. Did a winetasting at Holm Oak Vineyard. Young winemaker told me a lot about winemaking and I mentioned my desire to grow some grapes and make wine.

The bad news first: would pretty much have to grow them in a polytunnel to get Shiraz to ripen. Pinot noir it will be. But he gave me some to taste—plenty oak and great fucking wine! Even at $60/bottle I bought some! So will grow pinot noir and some Malbec. Sauvingnon blanc IS a pain in the arse to grow and they have ripped out their SB vine. No muscat—won’t ripen in Tassie. He told me this as I tasted some of their liqueur muscat—made from fruit grown in northern Victoria. Damn! Oh well, port made from Pinot Noir?

Oh yeah, saw the landagent on my block: $70–80K I could get for it he reckons. Encouraging but not enough. We agreed he could forward my details to anyone looking to buy some land. Reckon when the aged retirement village starts building be some demand for sure—convenient place to live for someone employed there. Just like the big private school around the corner buys some houses for teacher accommodation. Gardening almost done, some structures in place etc could do OK.

After the winetasting had a burger made from a brisket on the smoker all night. Ohhhhh!

Ahahaha just by coincidence the (big) winery dog and the little poodle “guard dog for the barbeque truck” just happened to sit down by my table :rofl :rofl :rofl :stop I said. Amazingly well behaved dogs, poor Demi would have turned it into a free for all but these two dogs were very amicable and not pushy. Yes, they got a bit of the brisket.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jan 2020, 14:17

BTW, the secret to cool climate wines is early-ripening varieties of grape.

The secret to producing pinot noir with guts and cellaring potential: oak! I tasted some fantastic pinot noir at the winery today! I have to do some calculations as to volume of must/volume of wine and see what size oak barrels would be good. The barrels will necessarily be smaller than those a commercial winery will use: I have a 20L American oak barrel that really puts a shine on a mead. I wonder what other sizes are available—and would cider or perry improve with some oaking? Hmmm come and see my barrel room. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Jan 2020, 20:24

Two trees are dead, two I pulled out of the ground—the growth was suckers from the rootstock which produce little to no fruit. Out of 32 trees and me being 1000Km away—not bad.

One of the four Green Horse perry pears is alive but only a few small leaves, think I will get a fresh sapling, can’t nursemaid sick trees from Adelaide! Starting with a new sapling be quicker than relying on a sickly tree I think.

Will spray tomorrow—not chemicals but a biologoically active spray that will boost the health and immune systems of the trees.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Jan 2020, 14:46

Working too bloody hard!

Big pergola completed, small one the posts are all in place, head timbers all done Thursday.

Out of 31 trees planted 4 are dead (2 completely dead, two had the rootstock sending up shoots—useless! So dug them out. One Green Horse I think I will replace—barely hanging on to life. Posts for the grapes in place, will spread gypsum and compost as preparation. Come April (or May, depends on soil moisture, not too dry not too wet) a shitload of rotary hoeing and spreading like 40 bags of gypsum will need to be done then a small digger to dig a ditch either side of where the grapes will go and gravel to fill the ditch. Where the storm water in the ditch will go is in the lap of the gods—dig like a pond and fill with mulch, send water there with swamp banksia etc to soak it up. Spoil from the ditch will go where the grapes will be planted in a mound. If that don’t do it then I can’t grow grapes!

Already learned, <sob!> I can’t grow muscat—just won’t ripen in Tassie. FUCK!

Muscat so versatile: table grapes, raisins, white wine, dark wine, liqueur muscat. Oh damn damn damn! Had such hopes, dashed alas! What can take its place, anyone?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 07 Jan 2020, 19:37

you in tassie again?
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2020, 03:37

Yup, leave for Adelaide Fri night.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Jan 2020, 10:29

No time to visit a vine nursery. Do that later. Do want some I can dry to raisins or sultanas and would love a sweet grape to make desert wine from.

Back in Adelaide will research early ripening grapes, maybe grow muscat in a polytunnel?

Between the big pergola and 1m in from the last row of perry pears will make a big circular parterre vege patch using step over apples (winesap) and lavender to form the walls of the circumference and the segments of the parterre.

Stuff like potatoes and onions I will grow in the rows between the trees late autumn to late spring.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jan 2020, 16:09

3hours to wait to checking in time for the ferry. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2020, 19:39

I had deleted the kennel on the leg to Devonport but not the Devonport to Melbourne leg, a chance I could get a Staffordshire pup. Nope and too late to cancel. So I made a pretend dog out of a 500g Nescafe tin, thick rug and a part of my car vacuum cleaner: got away with that so I was one of the early cars out the ferry in Melbourne. Well, I had paid $22 for the kennel and this way I got something for it :roll :bgrin

Was still 10.00am by the time I drove out of the ferry—and 725Km to cover!

Then a truck ran off the road and into the ditch, 2 big tow trucks there to get him out of the ditch (not the driver the truck :roll ) 12-15 minutes delay then just before the last town before Tailem Bend we got redirected a long way out of our way: apparently a truck and a car had had a disagreement.

7.00pm by the time I got home.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2020, 19:46

HBS Guy wrote:I had deleted the kennel on the leg to Devonport but not the Devonport to Melbourne leg, a chance I could get a Staffordshire pup. Nope and too late to cancel. So I made a pretend dog out of a 500g Nescafe tin, thick rug and a part of my car vacuum cleaner: got away with that so I was one of the early cars out the ferry in Melbourne. Well, I had paid $22 for the kennel and this way I got something for it :roll :bgrin

Was still 10.00am by the time I drove out of the ferry—and 725Km to cover!

Then a truck ran off the road and into the ditch, 2 big tow trucks there to get him out of the ditch (not the driver the truck :roll ) 12-15 minutes delay then just before the last town before Tailem Bend we got redirected a long way out of our way: apparently a truck and a car had had a disagreement.

7.00pm by the time I got home.

could have been worse ... you could have gotten caught on a road closed for 7 days due to bushfires :grn :grn
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2020, 20:11

Then I could have gone to sleep not driving driving driving.

Some dickheads on the road annoy me so much :mad Ever been behind some turkey who sits 5-10-15kph below the speed limit then AS SOON as an overtaking lane appears speed up to the road limit? good thing we have decent gun laws in this country! Or the turd doing up to 20kph less than the limit for that highway sits in the right lane instead of the left one? You have to change lanes and undertake :grn Too many of each type today!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2020, 20:26

HBS Guy wrote:ven been behind some turkey who sits 5-10-15kph below the speed limit then AS SOON as an overtaking lane appears speed up to the road limit

ohhhh... don't get me started on those dickheads :mad :mad
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2020, 20:34

They are the worst!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2020, 08:47

Interesting—grapes, sun, AGW:

https://www.apogeetasmania.com/news/31/impacts-of-climate-change-on-vineyards-for-news/

So pinot noir and Riesling, maybe some tempranillo. No grenache.

Does not mention table grapes. Have to work out the GST (not the stinking tax!) for my bit of heaven and then see what I can grow. Thinking of muscat in a greenhouse—nah.

Roma in Qld used to have a winery, most tropical winery in the world. Would have loved a visit on the way back from chez Lefty in Gladstone but it was no more by then.

I bought half a dozen sauvignon blanc from the Velo winery on the way to the ferry on Friday: http://www.velowines.com.au/

Now, the winemaker at Holm Oak said that Sauv. blanc had too many problems and they had ripped out the vines, problems of rot. Velo have their Sauv blanc on a hillside—guess that drainage means no rot: Holm Oak are on river flats, much less drainage. No good for me then. The Velo Sauv. Blanc was fantastic, wonderful nose—I stood there just smelling the glass for a couple minutes, glorious!

If you haven’t been I definitely recommend Tassie for a holiday, summer or winter.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2020, 09:06

The measure that works best it seems is GST (Growing Season Temperature – an average of the seven-month grape growing season October-April). Now I just have to find out the temperatures and average them and hope vine nurseries understand what I am babbling about.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 12 Jan 2020, 09:20

HBS Guy wrote:Roma in Qld used to have a winery, most tropical winery in the world. Would have loved a visit on the way back from chez Lefty in Gladstone but it was no more by then.

there are a few vineyards up at Mt Tamborine, not far from me. I've never been game enough to try them. I don't imagine the wine would be that great in this sort of climate.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jan 2020, 10:04

There are some around Gladstone too, not much chop by all accounts.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2020, 08:51

Cracks in my soil? Never! Hey, where is my spade?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2020, 09:03

You can see the gypsum I spread in and around that crack. This was just before the big pergola so the soil there had not been treated. However, nearly as big a crack had opened up in the area between two rows of pear trees that HAD been rotary hoed and gypsum applied—in 2017, 3 years ago and that is how long the effect of gypsum lasts so come fall and another lot of rotary hoeing and gypsum spreading. Budgeting $2500 for that—need the soil around the trees planted along the pergola sides to be done too. Cost me $2000 in 2017. Need much more mulch, I think, keep the soil covered and also grow lucerne everywhere around the trees.

Cool climate grapes. The two wineries I visited I noticed the vines were only 1m apart! Very close compared to plantings in SA! Yup, small vines producing less grapes ripen earlier than big vines with lots of bunches of grapes and the bunches are cut down a bit to improve wine quality—and make verjuice!

Strange fruit!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2020, 09:06

Cherry trees on left hand side of the photo, apples on the right hand side which is the side where the house will be built. The bottles of water are to changes branches from being too vertical to more horizontal: horizontal branches don’t grow as high—no ladders, thanks—and produce more fruit.

Trees doing well in picture but 3 cherries and one apple tree, the John Downy crabapple, died.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic