Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2019, 09:28

Sourdough with Tassie hot smoked salmon then fresh raspberries with Meander Valley thick cream. Think I can rough it out down here for another week.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 19 Apr 2019, 10:56

HBS Guy wrote:Hard work, this gardening!

Where I worked last year the soil is much improved. The pine chicps have chipped (sorry) the pH back to 8 from over 8. With the oyster mushroom compost and iron sulphate should bring it closer to ideal: just under 7. I hope. Maybe next year a sparse application of superphosphate and potassium sulphate will do the job but will be ongoing battle for a while, soils like a certain pH but I will keep plugging away. I see critters in the soil, a slater or two and an earthworm so all good. 15 bales of pea straw delivered, hope to get some alfalfa/lucerne hay as well.

Tomorrow rotary hoeing and placing of posts so I can espalier the perry pear trees once they arrive in spring.

2 rows of 4 cider apple trees—semi dwarf trees

3 rows of perry pears incl beurre bosc and its pollinators.

One row close planted cherry/peach/cooking/eating/cider apples.

I met my neighbors to the south of my block—they own 1.2Ha altogether incl the block next to mine and land behind my and other blocks—he is going to build a house and the rest of the 1.2Ha will be garden! How good is that! Some nice peace and quiet, flowers everywhere! Nice people.

That is very good news.

The soil here was a bit acidic. Had pine trees growing here.
Had the pines removed, mulched the soil well for over a year, added 'organic extra' and the soils pH reverted to a neutral area.
It 'fixed' itself.

A friend of mine has a degree in horticulture, she said do not add chemicals to correct a pH problem.
If you get it wrong, you can't grow much in there for a very long time.
Adding mulch and organic things is a safer thing to do.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2019, 15:39

Soils will largely determine what pH they will be. Organic material, compost, mulch, seem good and safe things to use, turn clay or sand into soil (takes longer with sand) and don’t do soil pH any harm either.

Tuesday for the posts: bloke was going to hand dig the holes. I laughed for like 40 minutes. No post hole diggers to be found till after Easter.

I need to get my trees delivered and the orchard that was going to take my too-mature trees reminded to come and pick them up. Then Wed–Thu plant the first actual fucking trees in my block! YAY!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 19 Apr 2019, 17:04

apparently the hand held post hole diggers are really dangerous.

the ones on a PTO on a dingo or something are good
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby Aussie » 19 Apr 2019, 17:12

Sprintcyclist wrote:apparently the hand held post hole diggers are really dangerous.

the ones on a PTO on a dingo or something are good

Yes. There is significant torque there. If the dirt does not give way......the bloke holding it is in deep shit.

I had an old manual auge which was great.
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Apr 2019, 17:32

The guy will get a decent post hole digger like he rented a decent rotary hoe. If not will tell him to get a decent one! The clay is hard, arms would be broken for sure!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 19 Apr 2019, 20:53

HBS Guy wrote:The guy will get a decent post hole digger like he rented a decent rotary hoe. If not will tell him to get a decent one! The clay is hard, arms would be broken for sure!

That was exactly my understanding of the probable result of using a cheap hand held post hole digger.

I have never used one
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2019, 17:27

Well, he did have a manual auger, the hydraulic one not available. Drilling went OK: one pole is 10-20mm higher than the others: stone in the bottom of the hole. I have some video, will upload when I can—I am knackered digging and carting stuff etc. No mishap except the young guy got flung a couple of feet once. No broken arms thand goodness!

Was weird, down low the very thick clay was wet, very wet in some of the holes—obvious drainage pattern down low near the bedrock.

Oh, I asked Bluey if he was good putting up shelves and they put up the unit I had bought at Bunnings. Took them 15 minutes. 6 shelves, I had them arrange them as 2 lots of 3 shelves, giving me a bit of a work top, can mix up my sprays, do soil testing etc, boil a kettle for a cuppa easily. Will tidy up the shed a bit more each day I am here—go back on Saturday. Want everything done by Friday, have a relaxing day Saturday then the long drive Melbourne-Adelaide.

Bet my 12 posts have started some gossip in the village :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Sprintcyclist » 23 Apr 2019, 19:06

HBS Guy wrote:Well, he did have a manual auger, the hydraulic one not available. Drilling went OK: one pole is 10-20mm higher than the others: stone in the bottom of the hole. I have some video, will upload when I can—I am knackered digging and carting stuff etc. No mishap except the young guy got flung a couple of feet once. No broken arms thand goodness!

Was weird, down low the very thick clay was wet, very wet in some of the holes—obvious drainage pattern down low near the bedrock.

Oh, I asked Bluey if he was good putting up shelves and they put up the unit I had bought at Bunnings. Took them 15 minutes. 6 shelves, I had them arrange them as 2 lots of 3 shelves, giving me a bit of a work top, can mix up my sprays, do soil testing etc, boil a kettle for a cuppa easily. Will tidy up the shed a bit more each day I am here—go back on Saturday. Want everything done by Friday, have a relaxing day Saturday then the long drive Melbourne-Adelaide.

Bet my 12 posts have started some gossip in the village :rofl

Well done.
A great success.
Sprintcyclist
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Apr 2019, 19:48

I have not had notches chainsawed in the posts, need to find out exactly how high to start and I am thinking of putting some hardwood (merante 40x40mm or whatever on the posts so there are two parallel wires, twice the production. Will get a carpenter to do that.

Fucking fucking TasWater: I had a meter connected to the block and asked if it would have a tap attached “Oh yes, will be a tap!” Nope, no fucking tap so now I need to find a fucking plumber and get a tap fitted. Geesus H Christ, they really WANT to discourage people from moving to Tassie!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Apr 2019, 14:52

FUCK!

Just checked the nursery website—they were taking orders! Yippee!

Heads over to perry pears. . .ALL OUT OF STOCK! {Sound FX: Funeral dirge, sounds of wailing and weeping etc}

Fukkit!

So 2 lots beurre bosc, one for perry, one for eating/cooking. Then Williams and Packham's Triumph and Comice to eat and to pollinate each other and the beurre bosc.

Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!Fukkit!

Off stage: {Sound FX: Funeral dirge, sounds of wailing and weeping etc}

Middle distance: sack cloths and ashes being donned.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Apr 2019, 07:04

Busy packing up.

Few hours more on the block then head to Devonport and the ferry. Leaves at 9 fucking 30 pm! Oh goody! HOURS on a cold, windy, bare waterside! Then the real delight: crossing Bass Strait with 2-4m waves! Heave!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby DonDeeHippy » 27 Apr 2019, 08:45

HBS Guy wrote:Busy packing up.

Few hours more on the block then head to Devonport and the ferry. Leaves at 9 fucking 30 pm! Oh goody! HOURS on a cold, windy, bare waterside! Then the real delight: crossing Bass Strait with 2-4m waves! Heave!

all that just to go back to S.A. you must really be looking forward to it. :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Monk » 28 Apr 2019, 06:27

Actually had a good crossing. Slept like a baby.
Monk

Postby johnsmith » 29 Apr 2019, 17:04

DonDeeHippy wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:Busy packing up.

all that just to go back to S.A. you must really be looking forward to it. :purple

he's a sucker for punishment :clap :clap
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2019, 18:49

SA school holidays ended and sis had to go back to work.

Re perry pears, I can get them from another place but decided not to. Have enough trees to plant and more ordered. Need to prepare the perry pear beds. Next year is early enough.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Apr 2019, 18:55

This apple: https://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/cider-apples/200-king-david.html

Set fruit and he guy looking after them collected seven King David apples. Said they were delicious! So they should be, if a winesap was one ancestor! Not even the dog wanted to eat the bittersweet cider apples—they are bitter with tannins!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby UnSubRocky » 30 Apr 2019, 00:02

Does anyone know of a good halophyte to plant in a typical Australian garden. Seems silly to ask, since Australian flora has multiple examples.
UnSubRocky
Kitten

Postby DonDeeHippy » 30 Apr 2019, 07:08

UnSubRocky wrote:Does anyone know of a good halophyte to plant in a typical Australian garden. Seems silly to ask, since Australian flora has multiple examples.

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/soil-salini ... aline-land

couldn't find anything on native to QLD though, most of the info is on saltbush for crops and not really nice in a garden.... I need these plants to as my bore is a bit salty. I have about 20 different succulents though that love the salty water.
Spanish spinich is a good one too and edable, i just cant kill it and it's a nice cover with a little white flower.
:purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Apr 2019, 08:07

Wow, just how salty is your water, USR? Samphires love salt and are edible.

I have been researching alkaline soils, how to amend, what natives to plant and grevilleas will do it for me, a hedge for my little orchard.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Apr 2019, 08:27

Will be buying this soon:

https://www.angusrobertson.com.au/books/espalier-allen-gilbert/p/9781864471090

Nice to find a gardening book by an Australian—seasons not turned around, local sources for gear etc etc. Has a book on growing berries but that won’t start for a while!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 02 May 2019, 10:12

Did a bit of searching about espalier last night.

Looks like wires should go in at 60cm, 100cm, 140cm and 180cm. So my 2+metre high posts are fine as far as that goes. If council kicks up then I can reduce (have someone reduce) the height of the posts a bit tho only after a lot of resistance.

Minimum spacing of the wires 10" = 25.4cm so 400mm is a nice generous spacing allowing air and light to reach all parts of the trees. (“Grow a little Fruit Tree” by Ann Ralph—buy this book before choosing and planting fruit trees!)

So the posts are probably wild overkill but absolutely fine. The posts did have to go a metre (almost, full depth the auger could reach) else the clay in moving would have tilted etc the posts over time.Only 20-25cm clay under the posts, they should be OK.

One thing I did not have time for was to buy bulk pea/clover/lucerne etc seed and get a cover crop growing. Sep-Oct, spring, will be a better time I guess, apart from peas. Sent off an enquiry to a mob with a branch in Tas. They will likely want to sell seed in 1ton lots but will see.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 May 2019, 15:01

I think I will review my order with the Tas nursery, replace the pears with semi-dwarf pears from that Vic nursery and buy some more apples, add a quince etc, enough to fill Row 5 with beurre bosc (1 for perry, 1 for eating/cooking) Williams (pollinate the BB) and Packham to pollinate the Williams) and Comice, 5 pears then can add 7 perry pears, Green Horse maybe or Green Horse x 2 plus Gin (or whatever) to pollinate the Green Horse. Leaves 24 more spots to be filled next year.

Semidwarf trees are just more productive, disease resistant etc etc than dwarf trees. Anything growing above the 1800mm wire will get lopped off anyway size of trees is not a problem. A semidwarf tree will happily populate two wires instead of just one.

Any eating/cooking pear that looks a bit yuck is going to find itself added to whatever perry pear variety is being milled and pressed at the time. For cider and perry looks don’t matter, a possible worm in the fruit doesn’t matter. As long as there is no rot the fruit will be milled and pressed.

I still want a cellar but if it goes down to bedrock I will need to raise the floor a bit, one brick say, so the water that seems to seep in some places through the clay can run under the cellar floor. Be interesting to run a soil penetrating radar over my block, map the bedrock, seeps. If I win the lottery maybe :rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby UnSubRocky » 03 May 2019, 16:03

HBS Guy wrote:Wow, just how salty is your water, USR? Samphires love salt and are edible.

I have been researching alkaline soils, how to amend, what natives to plant and grevilleas will do it for me, a hedge for my little orchard.

It was not really the water quality. It was the fact that I applied to the lawn a product that had a certain amount of salt in it. That's schizophrenia for you. I have been treating the soil with potting mix and greening the grass with fertiliser. Moving the compost bin out front this week should be useful and redirecting the worms that have migrated under the underneath of my house's concrete.
UnSubRocky
Kitten

Postby HBS Guy » 03 May 2019, 16:30

Oh dear, salt and grass not a good mix, unless you are talking kikuyu.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic