Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 20 Jul 2018, 08:57

johnsmith wrote:
pinkeye wrote:I know I can re-size them.. used Paint once upon a time, but... seem to have forgotten how, now. Get a bit frustrated.


right click on image, click 'open image with' paint, click 'resize', then put in whatever size you want.


ok, thanks.
Will try again at a later stage.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Jul 2018, 09:18

Looking forward to seeing your photos, Sprint!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Jul 2018, 18:14

20171113_164639pa.jpg
Taadaaaaa

Sorry for the delay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Jul 2018, 18:16

20171127_061917 pa.jpg
From the deck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Jul 2018, 18:19

20180318_084826pa.jpg
A path becoming natural
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Jul 2018, 18:24

20180405_140001pa.jpg


A Real Mans Garden
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby johnsmith » 21 Jul 2018, 18:25

looks good.

Those benches should be nice places to sit when the gardens further developed
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Rhinocerus
 
Posts: 5791
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jul 2018, 18:29

Hmmm you got slopes in your garden. Mine is dead flat. Slopes give interest.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Jul 2018, 19:08

HBS Guy wrote:Hmmm you got slopes in your garden. Mine is dead flat. Slopes give interest.


Can you import many meters of soil/mulch in to give it more interest?

Yes, slopes are good. As you said, they give interest and microclimates.
I put some swales in.
We did 3 field trips to research 'forest paths'. Discussed what we liked and did not like.
I redesigned the paths 3 times till I was happy with them. That was crucial, paths HAVE to be convincing.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jul 2018, 19:25

I should make swales and berms, have them made for me, rather, then make mounds to plant my trees into. Don’t want to do more than that until the house is built. Builders leave rubbish, etc.

Definitely want a pond, maybe can work out some sort of effect. Will dig a cellar out under the house—plenty of clay to make a decent mound from, with a pond a little below ground level to maximise the amount of slope.

No idea of what native fish are in Tassie. Love to have a big aquarium with sea horses and compatible fish, be unreal!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 21 Jul 2018, 21:21

Yes, one thing at a time.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jul 2018, 21:45

The bigger trees will be planted April next year, they take the longest to bear fruit and are well away from where the house will be.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 22 Jul 2018, 01:25

Good planning. There is an enormous amount of planning to a good Forest/garden.

We planned ours for about a year.
Bought lots of tube stock butterfly attracting plants, grew them in a raised garden.
We cordoned off the clothes line area, hired a rotary hoe, fertilised with whole rest of the yard with 20 KG bags of 'Organic Xtra' fertiliser, dug up the whole back yard with the hoe except for the clothesline area while digging the fertiliser in.
Dug the paths out ( 3 times), put cypress pine chip where the forest was to go, sugar cane mulch where the path is.
Was a lot more work than it sounded and we have only a normal sized block
The Forest has many small flying insects in it. Many lady birds, bees, butterflies.

It wants more pine chip and another fertilising.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jul 2018, 06:52

Yup, soil critters and rot eat away at the mulch so you need to keep replenishing it. Mulch and some compost should be all your trees need, maybe some rock dust?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 22 Jul 2018, 12:48

HBS Guy wrote:Yup, soil critters and rot eat away at the mulch so you need to keep replenishing it. Mulch and some compost should be all your trees need, maybe some rock dust?


It is as though the soil gulped the pine chips down.
I thought they would last for years so was surprised that within 6 months the coverage was much less than when we put it on.

Had heard of the crusher dust being good. It has many minerals plants use up when growing.
Organic Xtra has some minerals too. I prefer to different fertilisers so might look around.



https://qldorganics.com.au/products/organic-xtra/


https://qldorganics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/QldOrganics_ProductInformationSheet_OrganicXtra.pdf


............... Nitrogen (N) As organic 4.0 % Total 4.0 %
Phosphorus (P) As water soluble 0.5 % As citrate soluble 0.9 % As organic 0.13 % Total 1.5 %
Potassium (K) As organic 1.4 % As sulfate 1.6 % Total 3.0 %

Additional analysis:
Calcium (Ca) As organic 2.1 % As mineral 0.3 % Total 2.4 %
Sulfur (S) As organic 0.7 % As sulfate 0.7 % Total 1.4 %
Magnesium (Mg) As organic 0.5 %
Iron (Fe) As organic 0.2 %
Copper (Cu) As organic 25 mg/kg
Zinc (Zn) As organic 800 mg/kg
Boron (B) As organic 2 mg/kg
Manganese (Mn) As organic 320 mg/kg
Molybdenum (Mo) As organic 6 mg/kg ..............


How are those figures?
I just see a list of various minerals and think, "that's ok by me.'
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jul 2018, 19:11

I would have to find a site that explains the significance of each mineral and its %.

I will make a soil sample and send it off next April—and make sure I understand the result when it arrives :bgrin

I will do a heap of tests of my own, original untreated soil (might pinch it from the block next door, truly virgin) some semi treated and some from the areas I really worked on last April. See how much difference all the work has made.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Jul 2018, 19:21

Ohh ive got a few good perma books monk ill see if they have links in them.
Replanted choko's today in a bit more shade this time they didn't like the sun much.
got a advocado tree to that's going like mad in the compost, ill wait until spring to replant though.... still a bit of frost left I think.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 494
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 21:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jul 2018, 19:42

It is still winter! Yeah, leave it a few weeks.

I don’t know if an avocado is deciduous? If it is need to transplant mid-late August, then prune it—let it set new feeder roots etc without a heap of leaves transpiring water like mad. Not gonna give any other advice—have not looked up avocados at all.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby DonDeeHippy » 22 Jul 2018, 19:45

HBS Guy wrote:It is still winter! Yeah, leave it a few weeks.

I don’t know if an avocado is deciduous? If it is need to transplant mid-late August, then prune it—let it set new feeder roots etc without a heap of leaves transpiring water like mad. Not gonna give any other advice—have not looked up avocados at all.

its only a baby about 2 feet high, wont have to prune I don't think.
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
User avatar
DonDeeHippy
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 494
Joined: 25 Apr 2018, 21:18
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Jul 2018, 20:18

Can’t start too early training babies else they are still wearing nappies at FD & Gordon’s age. Or Booby’s.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 23 Jul 2018, 09:23

DonDeeHippy wrote:Ohh ive got a few good perma books monk ill see if they have links in them.
Replanted choko's today in a bit more shade this time they didn't like the sun much.
got a advocado tree to that's going like mad in the compost, ill wait until spring to replant though.... still a bit of frost left I think.


good, if it is going well where it is .......... great
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 23 Jul 2018, 09:26

HBS Guy wrote:I would have to find a site that explains the significance of each mineral and its %.

I will make a soil sample and send it off next April—and make sure I understand the result when it arrives :bgrin

I will do a heap of tests of my own, original untreated soil (might pinch it from the block next door, truly virgin) some semi treated and some from the areas I really worked on last April. See how much difference all the work has made.


Interesting to see what you get.

I tested the pH of our soil. It was a bit acidic but within a normal range so left it. We used to have pines growing around there, so that was quite expected.
Then retested if after the Organic Xtra and mulch for a month or so, the pH was improved. Totally unexpected.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2018, 10:15

Very slightly acid is the best for nearly every plant, why I am having pine chips spread on my rows—it is a bit too alkaline. Soil will return to its “natural” pH tho. I will be spreading pine chips forever.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Gardening

Postby Sprintcyclist » 23 Jul 2018, 15:08

HBS Guy wrote:Very slightly acid is the best for nearly every plant, why I am having pine chips spread on my rows—it is a bit too alkaline. Soil will return to its “natural” pH tho. I will be spreading pine chips forever.


yes, alkaline soil is quite rare
Someone told me to be very wary about changing the soils pH. If plants are growing, that'll do.
She said, if you get the pH wrong it can take a very long time get it right again.
Sprintcyclist
Pitbull terrier
 
Posts: 404
Joined: 16 Jul 2018, 08:14
spamone: Animal

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2018, 20:37

It is totally crap soil supporting titrees, gorse and grass only.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 49217
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron