Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby Lefty » 25 Nov 2016, 07:32

Yeah, safety officer actually noted it when she did the audit of my workroom the other week. Told her that when temps are over 35 outside, I've measured over 50 degrees inside that little windowless brick prison cubicle.

Not going in today - I slept 12 hours after collapsing yesterday arvo and while I feel better than I did yesterday, I still feel a bit washed-out and foggy. Forecast is for nowhere hear as hot today but I'm still recovering.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2016, 07:50

Good. Maybe they should build a shower so you can have to odd cold shower now and then on hot days.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 25 Nov 2016, 08:45

Yeah, I need something anyway. Bloke who does the same job as me where wife works told her that he just lays low after lunch on days where working in such temps is hazardous. Unfortunately, my workroom is a windowless (there are little slit window that do nothing since another building blocks any air flow) brick cube that faces into the western sun. On the premise that you're mostly working outside. This is true but when it's dangerously hot outside you want to go back inside and do some stuff at the workbench - problem is in my case it's even worse at the workbench.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2016, 09:29

Find a bit of shade and go to sleep? :bgrin

Nah, i would talk to the Headmaster—there is a pattern of you needing to take a day off after a day working in the sun. Be cheaper for the school if you could go home at midday on days like that—cheaper than you being off all the next. Or have a better workroom built, a/c added or something?
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2016, 15:47

Hmmm thought the dog was tracking something in the back garden yesterday.

Today it caught and killed it—a 30cm long lizard. What you get with a terrier, I suppose. All dogs are carnivores but terriers have that tenacity and the breeding, I suppose, to track, stalk, dig out etc vermin, small animals.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 13 Dec 2016, 08:35

Demi definitely has a strong prey drive!

Hmm, finally got some RAIN. Probably about 50mm all told. We need a helluva lot more but at least that's some respite.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2016, 09:00

Rain? Rain. . .gets out dictionary. . .rab. . .rain {reads} hmmm WHAT? Water falling out the sky? Impossible!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 14 Dec 2016, 08:31

HBS Guy wrote:Rain? Rain. . .gets out dictionary. . .rab. . .rain {reads} hmmm WHAT? Water falling out the sky? Impossible!

Not doing so good on that front in Adelaide I take it? :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Dec 2016, 09:01

Not lately :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Dec 2016, 08:48

Things drying out quickly here again. Disasterously poor (for fruit farmers) mango crop over much of the north. Those two trees of mine that are normally loaded about this time of year even if totally neglected have one single mango between them. Winter was too warm apparently.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Dec 2016, 12:23

Not good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Dec 2016, 08:33

A little bit of rain overnight, not much though. There was a cracker of a thunderstorm on the radar yesterday evening - some parts of it were black on the coloured radar image, indicating absolutely torrential rain - but most of it missed us and headed up to Rockhampton :sad Oh well, we'll get some sooner or later.

I'm keeping the water up to the citrus, the big Tahitian lime is absolutely loaded - can't allow it to dry out or the limes will be dry and juiceless. Hmm - not all that impressed with the West Indian lime. It's supposed to be the preferred lime of bartenders, supposed to have a stronger flavour - buggered if I can pick it. What it does have is smaller fruit and much bigger and nastier thorns. The Tahitian grows larger (but still not too large for a backyard fruit tree), has only small prickles for thorns, carries more fruit overall and the fruit are bigger so yield more juice and more fragrant zest. And has fruit for a good 8 months of the year. Plus only the occasional one has seeds. The Tahitian is the best lime overall imo, at least in my climate. Lemons have now set on both the Lisbon and the dwarf lemon. This will be the first fruiting of the dwarf variety so I don't have an opinion on the fruit yet. The Lisbons are certainly good - man, they are sour muthas, bite into one and your face instantly looks like the back end of a horse :bgrin - but they yield lots of juice and lots of lovely zesty zest :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Dec 2016, 13:15

. . .back of a horse :jump but accurate.

Mine is slowly growing.

Think it needs some pond water or pig poo.

Must cut that flowering bush down, too vigorous, outperforming the lime and the crepe myrtle.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 27 Dec 2016, 06:51

Hmm - an inch of rain last night, nice little drop :yellow Need heaps more yet though!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 13 Jan 2017, 06:20

West Indian limes - nice enough lime but small, not a lot of juice, bugger all zest and very seedy - might pick them and give them to FIL and BIL to quarter up and put in their beer. Tahitians are the way to go for cooking.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jan 2017, 10:21

Well, I had some rain. tipped 8mm out the gauge a couple hours ago, threw the dog outside just now and checked the gauge, another 4.5mm. Half an inch, pretty good!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 14 Jan 2017, 08:33

HBS Guy wrote:Well, I had some rain. tipped 8mm out the gauge a couple hours ago, threw the dog outside just now and checked the gauge, another 4.5mm. Half an inch, pretty good!

Not a bad drop there for Adelaide!

I've had some here but the monsoonal falls have yet to reach this area and it's only been heavy showers. The monsoonal atmosphere is here of course - fuck me but you just about need SCUBA gear to breath the air outside! :hot
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jan 2017, 08:41

Been humid here too. Been hotter and more humid than Adelaide normally gets. The rain this week—we usually get some rain near the end of Jan, this time more like middle of the month so will we get more rain next week? Usually the summer is predictable but over 40°C at Christmass was unexpected.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Jan 2017, 20:02

About to get pelted with rain here! Never seen so much dark red on the Adelaide radar!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Jan 2017, 09:05

HBS Guy wrote:About to get pelted with rain here! Never seen so much dark red on the Adelaide radar!

Did you get much?

Still bone-dry here, only thing wet is the air itself :hot
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 21 Jan 2017, 09:07

Better go out and put the irrigation on the lime trees - they are loaded with fruit and I don't want them to get stressed on a brutally hot day like today in case they end up dropping fruit.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jan 2017, 09:14

Got 10mm, the heaviest bits sort of split and missed my place :sad
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Jan 2017, 09:21

HBS Guy wrote:Got 10mm, the heaviest bits sort of split and missed my place :sad

Just like my place - Gladstone got a downpour of over 100mm but we only got about 10 as well :bgrin

Of some note, only the way to/from the in-laws, we drive through the town of Tully - the wettest inhabited place in Australia, with an average of around 4 metres a year but occasionally records up to 6. Of all the years I've been going up there, coming home was the first time I've driven through Tully and didn't get rained on ( we did get rained on when we stopped there on the way up to get something to eat). I'm always praying for rain but I don't know if I can handle 6 metres a year or even half that!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Jan 2017, 10:58

1m does me. Waters the garden in winter and fills the rainwater tanks, all 3 of them, as well.

Another 500mm maybe—means the rain is more regular and reliable.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jan 2017, 22:42

We had 10mm last week and today we had another 10mm. Was out today, quick trip to the Barossa, bought some wine and a couple cookbooks. The Tanunda library had a book on cider so I borrowed that, using my local library card. Really looking for selecting cider apple varieties/planting and taking care of cider apple trees rather than the cider making itself ATM. Library told me about a secondhand bookshop just down the road will definitely visit that shop from next visit on!

Cookbooks were a guide to meat: cuts, how to choose, how to cook and the other is about smoking food so both useful books that go together pretty well.

All the way it rained on and off and when I got home the rain gauge had 9mm with another mm falling this evening. 20mm rain in January is a bit weird. We do usually get reasonable rain in the third week of January but not the second week. Think last week was monsoonal, something that started happening a few years ago and now we get heat and humidity in Adelaide in place of the dry heat.

Nice meal at Saltrams, bought 6 bottles wine including a sparkling shiraz and a bottle of the Mr Pickwick’s Particular Tawny port. Gotta love the 40% discount you get on the No1 Club’s membership!

Better visit the market tomorrow, buy some nice steaks to eat on Aust Day, wash down with some sparkling red!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic