Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Mar 2016, 06:51

Cheers.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Mar 2016, 09:18

17mm in the gauge from late afternoon and overnight. Not a bad drop. Thankfully it is now cooler and LESS HUMID! 30°C-ish weather is bearable unless it is humid!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 21 Mar 2016, 06:36

Not a bad drop for Adelaide. I haven't been paying close attention here, plenty of rain though. Was stinking hot a dad's on Saturday (40ish) and feels a bit steamy out there now.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 21 Mar 2016, 07:05

40ish!

Wonder whether global March temp will be as hot or hotter than Feb!

Poor old vignerons were harvesting all sorts of varieties at the same time, no staged ripening with one variety one week and another the next, everything had to be picked at the same time! Bet a few varieties got mixed up, malbec for grenache etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Mar 2016, 05:41

The heat forcing all varieties to ripen at once?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2016, 05:48

Yeah, so much heat so late and everything ripens at once—this has been a trend over the last couple of decades as I have recorded here once or twice. This autumn heat may be unusual but the trend has been to different varieties ripening closer and closer to each other. Some areas, like the floor of the Barossa Valley have been getting so warm the wine made from grapes from that area have all fruit flavor but no structure, no acidity or tanning to balance the fruit, so Saltram is pulling vines and replacing them with more heat tolerant Italian varieties like fiano. Other wineries are planting vineyards in Tassie.

But, oh yeah, Global Warming doesn’t exist—so brainwashed are deniers you mention stuff like this they rationalise it away immediately.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Mar 2016, 05:58

I wonder what variety it is they have planted up here at Gecko valley in Gladstone? I remember that my cousin planted a lot of the vines when it first started and the owner told him they were a special heat-tolerant variety. Unfortunately, not heat-tolerant enough to survive the bushfire that destroyed every last vine that week you were up here.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2016, 06:15

Yeah, that was pretty cruel but bushfire season is getting longer and longer and the bushfires themselves are getting bigger and bigger. Again, deniers will claim it is the Greens preventing fuel reduction burns even tho some of the biggest fires in the last few years have been fuel reduction burns that got out of control! Have to do the burns in the middle of winter these days!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 22 Mar 2016, 06:46

Yup! Ok, better head off, catch you later :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2016, 06:51

Later.

Heh, took a long walk (Somerton Park to Seacliff) with the dog. Dog enjoyed it heaps, was flaked out for the rest of the afternoon & evening. I laughed at that but suffered agonising leg cramps soon after. Guess I should have worked up to that long walk!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 23 Mar 2016, 06:36

A nice glass of salty water should help :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Mar 2016, 08:03

Cramps didn’t last long but were pretty damn severe while they lasted!

Never mind, will do it again soon, this long hot summer has made me slothful. Better get some decent exercise before bloody winter makes walking impossible again.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 Mar 2016, 06:57

Tim put me onto the salty water thing, as directed by his doc. I get cramps in the biceps while digging, two teaspoons of salt dissolved in water definitely helps. Pretty hard to put the stuff down though and you want to make sure you stay hydrated. I actually ate a teaspoonful of table salt and washed it down with a heap of lemonade :bgrin Within 15 minutes all cramping was gone and I was able to resume digging.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Mar 2016, 07:25

Or buy a bottle of a sports drink, taste disgusting but have the electrolytes to replace what is lost sweating etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 30 Mar 2016, 08:59

Yeah, sports drinks if you can't hack the taste of the salt - not that sports drinks taste much better :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Mar 2016, 09:51

<!Disgusting!>

:jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 31 Mar 2016, 08:02

Better get in and remove that rampant Pacific yam vine from the lime tree before it shades it to death. I rarely use the yams but the limes are very, very handy to have hanging there.

Nothing wrong with the yams, I quite like them actually - they naturally roast up very crispy and taste ok. Best part is the crispy, crunchy texture of the roasted chunks, there's something in them that really crisps up, more easily than potato. But they are a pain to harvest, are huge (I'll bet there's several 20kg+ tubers under the ground near the lime tree :OMG ), and the plant becomes a rampant weed.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2016, 08:11

20Kg tubers!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 31 Mar 2016, 08:17

Yeah, bit much for one sitting unless you're throwing a party :bgrin Really, it's only about the bottom one-third of the tuber that's good to eat. The tuber just gets bigger each year and the top is the original part - it becomes tough and fibrous. The newest part is on the bottom and that is soft and nicely textured. But you have to dig up the whole thing. They do produce tubers above ground on the vine when they get large and some of these are ok. They also spread by dropping these tubers from the vine to the ground.

Ok, better go and finish this sapphire. I had Greg make up a pendant for wife and rather than money he wanted some stones cut. Catch you later :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Mar 2016, 08:19

Later.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby jfish1936 » 07 May 2016, 23:45

Being less fit than 20 yrs ago, I'm very happy with my birthday present from family:
A raised garden bed I can work on without bending of kneeling.

So far got tomatoes, coriander, italian parsley, carrots and brussels growing.
A few dwarf bean sprouts are just showing.

So far, no weeds or insects, but we've planted garlic chives under it, which seem to repel the local grasshoppers.
jfish1936
Kitten

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2016, 00:33

I have a stainless steel right hip, was set to get to work, now my left shoulder has arthritis, dammit.

Regardless, going to get to work cleaning up some patches at the back, keep it simple, plant broadbeans and potatoes. Get the beans planted then spuds, also some garlick.

For when I move to Tassie next May, going to buy a ride on mower with rotary and plough attachments.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 08 May 2016, 08:34

Some plants liking the increased light levels from clearing the overgrown jungle around the hut-now-workshop. This Vanda orchid has burst into bloom in the dappled light, hadn't flowered for years previously.

Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 08 May 2016, 09:17

Wow, that is some flower! And big!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 14 May 2016, 06:33

Yeah, all it took was just that bit more filtered light and it bursts into bloom. Flowers are still intact since the orchid beetles have retired for the winter. Speaking of which, it was nice for here early yesterday morning - a nice, crisp 10 degrees on the veranda. Not as cool this morning but still pleasant, vastly better than the awful heat and humidity which plague this place for over half the year.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic