Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2017, 08:56

Raining here, really pissed down for a few seconds now just drizzling. Oh well, all welcome.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2017, 06:46

Would have got 5mm yesterday.

Have worked out my cherry and cider apple trees. Was easy once some emotions settled down.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2017, 15:37

Had no bananas last year but this year THREE bells are going strong!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2017, 16:43

oowwwww bloody digging, who dug up the lawn and made it vege beds anyway I’d like to know? Oh, it were me!

Anyway, had to get in and tidy the back of the back garden up arthritic shoulders or not! Got a bit over half of that big patch dug, the rest tomorrow and Tuesday. Have a break Wednesday then rake it out, spread some dolomite and cow poop, plant broadbean seed.

Next biggest patch I will do next, chuck in rather more cow poop, plant spuds.

After that, kill some trees that selfseeded.

My lemon tree has a lot of fruit on it, not quite ripe yet. Want to use the fruit for sure!

Preserved lemon comes to mind, also lemon marmalade or mixed citrus marmalade.

Lemon marmalade: lemons and grapefruit, both from my garden. Wonder if blood limes are in season yet? They come out before Seville oranges so maybe—will go to the farmers market in Willunga next Saturday, see what is there.

Anyway, the third vege patch will also be put to spuds or maybe chard and lettuce—leafy greens. Then tidy up the rest of the back part of the backyard.

That’ll keep me off the streets!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2017, 13:13

Lying in bed due to a heavy cold. Fucking rain hammering down outside! Would be worse having a heavy cold with nice weather outside I suppose :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jul 2017, 14:37

Have gotten back a little bit into gardening.

Several rows of broadbean plants, hopefully a few more Sunday if the rain stays away, soil too soggy to work ATM.

Have just planted two egg cartons of seed raising mix with saucing tomatoes.

Need to dig and weed another patch now to take the bloody tomato plants :bgrin

And some more for two lots seed potatoes.

And cut down some trees, maybe kill a couple others that selfseeded and grew huge while I was stuffed by arthritis. One I will cut down. The other two I reckon I might chop some bark off and make a few cuts into the wood then paint it with tree and raspberry killer. I sprayed the leaves of one of these trees and the bastard loved it and doubled in size :jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Previous

Return to Off Topic