Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby Lefty » 25 Nov 2009, 05:57

Hmm - there's been a shower of rain here overnight. Probabaly enough to water my orchids and broms. I'll go out and check the rain gauge shortly.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2009, 06:34

Cool. Feels humid down here but no rain.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 25 Nov 2009, 06:40

About 1mm. I won't start building an ark just yet.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2009, 10:05

Nope, that will evaporate within an hour of the sun rising I'd say.

Planted two "Pineapple Lillys" and a Lemon Myrtle in the no-dig patch, gonna plant some poppies or violets/pansies there too, bare soil just makes room for weeds :(
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 25 Nov 2009, 17:22

Been half an inch at work (20km from home). Enough to keep my lawns and gardens in good stead for what's left of the week.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2009, 17:23

Supposed to have rained late this afternoon (looks outside) bright fucking sunshine :grn
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Nov 2009, 21:06

Started raining during last third of agility. Not hard but is gradually increasing. Just keep raining alllll night pls!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Nov 2009, 06:59

Did get some rain, but (sob!) most of it was south of here.

Few more showers today. Bring it on!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Nov 2009, 11:56

A few photos:

This morning the tennis ball I threw for the dog landed in this bay laurel tree, the kind you get bay leaves from, and helping the dog find it I found this birdsnest:

Not high up, less than 5' from the ground but safe as the tree is very dense and the nest was right in the middle of lots and lots of vertical branches and is likely made up from the peastraw I use for mulch :bgrin

In front of the lemon tree I have a heap of salvias some just about to burst into flower:

In front of the large salvia plant is a small banksia. Love seeing the color of the long-flowering salvias from the back verandah, looking past the backlawn and between the bay tree that has the birdsnest and a mandarin tree.

My maize patch, the multicolored corn seed had a very low germination rate and I have planted more seeds of a different variety:

On the right you can see the broad leaves of the climbing beans I also planted in the same patch, and lots of little potato plants I pull up everyday--that used to be the potato patch.

Here is the cucurbit patch:

Bottom left is a salvia, then up on the mound is a vietnamese mint, then another sage, then cucumber/rock melon/watermelon/pumpkin/zuchini seedlings. The big plant top left is a cucumber doing very well! Behind the cucurbits is the bay laurel that has that birds nest in it.

The native patch I have been planting the last few weeks, bit hard to see the plants:

Another native, one of my two quandong trees, teased me last year by flowering but no fruit :tease

This is the no-dig patch under the early apricot tree:

Left are the two pineapple lilies, right is the small lemon myrtle sapling with the dark green leaves. The stuff that looks likes grass are the crocuses I planted this morning. Still want a few poppies/violas/pansies there to cover the ground and suppress weeds.

Artichokes several times a week and still can't eat all:

I love my garden, look forward to having more time to spend in it!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 26 Nov 2009, 12:01

Nice pic!

:thumb
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 26 Nov 2009, 12:25

Cool, glad you like them.

When I retire in 3 years I can spend more time in it, lots of jobs to be done. Note the soil looks black: was red when I moved in, all the compost/composted manure and mulch I have put on or dug into the soil has changed it to black--sequestered carbon!

This morning I planted a meleleuca (native) and more bush bean seeds. Going to clean up the raised bed with the remnants of the winter crop and will plant more bush beans, perhaps some corn to provide some shade along N & W sides
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2009, 13:45

OK, made another no-dig patch in front of the previous one, took some photos which I will upload tomorrow. Have planted two gereberas an will plant a heap of different-colored petunia seedlings. When they have all settled down after the transplant I will spread a bit of dolomite, blood and bone and cover that with compost.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2009, 18:31

Planted a portwine magnolia as well, close to the house for frost protection, hope that does well.

Any know anything much about hibiscus? Got one of those to plant but know sweet Fanny Adams about it. Preferred soil pH, needs full sun or part shade good drainage yadda yadda!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 29 Nov 2009, 18:57

Port wine magnolia - I have a couple. Very sweet fragrance, supposedly like port wine. Some people say that they just smell sickly sweet, like red cordial. I think there is genetic variation between individual plants as to the perfume.

Hibiscus - what kind? Native varieties will tollerate frost but the Hawaiian variety will get burnt. Tropical soils are generally acidic, except in areas of recent vulcanism.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2009, 19:06

Ummm no label with the pot.

Will dig in lots cow poop and compost, sprinkle red cedar chips around to keep soil a bit acid. that or plant in a pot with acidic potting mix.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 29 Nov 2009, 20:19

Are the leaves broad, smooth and glossy or are they narrow, maybe forked and hairy or prickly?
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2009, 20:58

Seemed to be broad rather than narrow will have to look in morning.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 29 Nov 2009, 21:13

Hawaiian varieties have broad, smooth leaves, usaully serrated at the margins. Most native varieties have the other kind of leaf.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 29 Nov 2009, 21:23

Sure it has serrated leaves!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Nov 2009, 12:27

OK, we cut back old plants, removed some weeds etc and cleared a patch in front of the previous one. First step, line with thick wads of newspaper:

Next I add a layer of straw:

Paper & straw act to suppress weeds--I sincerely hope!

Next start building the no-dig bed up:

That is a layer of composted cow manure, high nitrogen organic matter. We keep adding stuff, potting soil, compost, composted manure:

Then plant it, dummy!

Notice the patch from last week. When this lot is established I will add a layer of compost to form a crust and that and the straw all around should protect from erosion. These patches has relatively shallow-rooted plants, for stuff like tomatoes you would have to raise it a metre, using car tires (yuck but cheap) or bales of straw which will last 3 years or so before becoming useful compost!

Here is the portwine magnolia:

The stuff with a row of leaves up each side of the stems is licorice, a nice fixer of nitrogen. You can see how crap a garden can look when you have only one day a week to work on it--see all that blasted couch grass! I will have to plant that Hawaiian type of hybiscus in that same patch, just off the verandah so protected from frost with the dwarf citrus all round hopefully providing some shade and protection from wind and I do have some plant protectors that also can water the plant steadily.

Planted some more flowers around the cucurbit patch, look nice and hopefully reduce weeds!

Notice how I follow the "weepy hose" with the various plants--weeds would spring up in the nicely irrigated area! Have not needed to irrigate a couple weeks, rain has done it for me!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 30 Nov 2009, 18:04

Looking pretty good JM. Better than my poor old catastrophe stricken vege patch.

Huge storm appeared at lunch time. It gave us 5mm and then disintigrated. Oh well, it was good for my orchids and broms.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 30 Nov 2009, 18:08

We had rain overnight again, reasonably useful amount. Soil is wet down to some depth.

Will be mulching madly in the mornings this week, keep that moisture in!

Going to do one more no-dig patch, on the other side of that apricot tree, cover up hard bare earth with lots of plants.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 02 Dec 2009, 18:12

Sky pitch black. Weather radar shows fuckin YOOJ thunderstorms out the back, heading this way.

Cmon Huey, send er down fuck ya!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 02 Dec 2009, 19:28

WOOOOHOOOO! Fuckin pissing down!!

Keep er coming Huey!!!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2009, 19:29

We have showers forecast, FSM better not disappoint me. . .
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic