Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2017, 08:56

Raining here, really pissed down for a few seconds now just drizzling. Oh well, all welcome.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2017, 06:46

Would have got 5mm yesterday.

Have worked out my cherry and cider apple trees. Was easy once some emotions settled down.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Mar 2017, 15:37

Had no bananas last year but this year THREE bells are going strong!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 21 May 2017, 16:43

oowwwww bloody digging, who dug up the lawn and made it vege beds anyway I’d like to know? Oh, it were me!

Anyway, had to get in and tidy the back of the back garden up arthritic shoulders or not! Got a bit over half of that big patch dug, the rest tomorrow and Tuesday. Have a break Wednesday then rake it out, spread some dolomite and cow poop, plant broadbean seed.

Next biggest patch I will do next, chuck in rather more cow poop, plant spuds.

After that, kill some trees that selfseeded.

My lemon tree has a lot of fruit on it, not quite ripe yet. Want to use the fruit for sure!

Preserved lemon comes to mind, also lemon marmalade or mixed citrus marmalade.

Lemon marmalade: lemons and grapefruit, both from my garden. Wonder if blood limes are in season yet? They come out before Seville oranges so maybe—will go to the farmers market in Willunga next Saturday, see what is there.

Anyway, the third vege patch will also be put to spuds or maybe chard and lettuce—leafy greens. Then tidy up the rest of the back part of the backyard.

That’ll keep me off the streets!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Jul 2017, 13:13

Lying in bed due to a heavy cold. Fucking rain hammering down outside! Would be worse having a heavy cold with nice weather outside I suppose :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 28 Jul 2017, 14:37

Have gotten back a little bit into gardening.

Several rows of broadbean plants, hopefully a few more Sunday if the rain stays away, soil too soggy to work ATM.

Have just planted two egg cartons of seed raising mix with saucing tomatoes.

Need to dig and weed another patch now to take the bloody tomato plants :bgrin

And some more for two lots seed potatoes.

And cut down some trees, maybe kill a couple others that selfseeded and grew huge while I was stuffed by arthritis. One I will cut down. The other two I reckon I might chop some bark off and make a few cuts into the wood then paint it with tree and raspberry killer. I sprayed the leaves of one of these trees and the bastard loved it and doubled in size :jump
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Francis » 14 Nov 2017, 21:51

Herbs
Francis
Jack Russell

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 22:41

Yeah, I should plant some herbs near the fishpond. Had a herb patch there, bloody chickens soon changed that:

Sage
Tarragon
Parsley

Have rosemary and a bay tree.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Nov 2017, 02:34

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, I should plant some herbs near the fishpond. Had a herb patch there, bloody chickens soon changed that:

Sage
Tarragon
Parsley

Have rosemary and a bay tree.

I've recently put in some herbs. Basil, Thai Coriander, Viet Mint, Ordinary Mint, Lemongrass , flat Parsley and Pizza Thyme. They are doing well, and the Thai Coriander has suddenly produced a stem with buds radiating out. Its going to seed :) . Amazing stuff that. The Viet Mint is powering,, and the Basil.. my goodness me. Too much for me.
So I was wondering, umm, is it true that some herbs are actually more beneficial dried.?
I'm thinking I'll sun dry all the excess Basil, for example. I always prefer fresh, BUT I could end up with lots of dried herbs. This is good yes?
I've got acreage but most of it is left au naturel. A REAL home among the gum trees. I'm not a gardener, per se, I've just decided I'd like access to these flavours for my noodle soups and curries and stirfry. Don't think I 've ever eaten so much Basil. The scents are intoxicating. :)
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Nov 2017, 08:27

Drying herbs is easy enough. Put in a paper bag with the herbs hanging down and hang that where it gets some breeze or draught.

Basil should stay pungent for a couple of years after drying, water tender, don’t let it dry out. Coriander is a waste of time growing—it bolts to seed rapidly.

It is worth planting a bay tree, needs a bit of care for a year or two, plenty water, then will grow and you have bay leaves whenever you like. Vigorous grower, easy to cut the branches, make a nice smoke.

Have worked out my cider apple planting, will draw that today, then add the cherry and plum trees. I have increased the row spacing which will ensure the sun will reach more of each tree. So all good.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 16 Nov 2017, 00:04

When I first put the garden bed in, my dog would climb in to eat the lemongrass. After a couple of growl sessions she got the message. BUT I have a native critter that has also gone in. It dug a hole, but it was too small to be my dog. I see these wee holes all over the place. I reckon its a Bandicoot, or something similar. May have to consider a bit wire or a screen of some sort. We will see.

Coriander seeds quickly its true, but I've been told there are two types of common coriander. One is designed for seed production, whilst the other one is entered to produce leaf. You probably only have had the seeding variety.

The coriander I'm growing is THAI. IE it looks a bit like shiny saw-edged flat leaf weed. Incredible aroma. The leaf is a little tough but so delicious. I imagine its called Thai Coriander, or Perennial Coriander, because its flavour is very similar. Looks nothing like ordinary Coriander.
An absolute MUST HAVE for thai cooking.
pinkeye
Feral cat

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Nov 2017, 06:56

Will try and find some of that to grow in Tassie.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 17 Nov 2017, 00:21

HBS Guy wrote:Will try and find some of that to grow in Tassie.

It really is yummy. Don't need much. So fragrant.

See if you can find some pics of it, if you get the time. Mine is newly planted, and I have use the older leaves, and it is in fact 2 plants, the older one of which recently, after some wonderful unexpected rain, has put up a relatively thick stem which has subsequently branched out in a striking pattern, spikes aplenty, with a flower(?) forming at their centres.
I suppose I could take a pic of it and endeavour to post a pic here, but I haven't really got the steadiest of hands. If you can't find it I'll have a go, in the next day or so.
It is quite stunning.
Something I have NEVER seen before. !! Now THAT is always a buzz. :bgrin
pinkeye
Feral cat

Previous

Return to Off Topic