Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2009, 15:56

Phew. Went to Stirling Market. Got a fucking HUGE heap of seedlings! A rockmelon seedling to replace the one the bloody dog dug up! (Previously fucking dog dug a big fucking hole right where a fucking capsicum seedling was, grrrr) got another couple cucumber seedlings too. Plus a couple natives to extend the "native quarter a bit more and a native lemon myrtle tree.

Mainly though, tough perennials with good flowers to make the border in front of the fruit trees a bit deeper and go in between the first row of fruit trees. If I don't have lots of plants there the fucking weeds will invade once winter gets here.

Thinking of no-dig gardening. Just layer straw, compost, soil, composted manure etc, all on top of a thick weed mat from old Fin Reviews--soil looks fucking hard and I don't want to damage the rootlets of the fruit trees. Yup, I'm lazy, mostly. So a couple more bales peastraw between which I will do the no-dig stuff.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2009, 16:00

The Southern of Adelaide plains has red, very slightly alkaline soils.

Mantra could try sprinkling a little bit of dolomite around 1-2 parsley plants, as she waters the seedling that will water that into the soil. Should see a difference (or not) in 2-3 weeks.

I picked pH as Mantra seems to have a hugely productive garden of which she must be proud--so not lack of fertility etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 22 Nov 2009, 20:15

I think lack of alkaline is the problem in my area. Is Dolomite phosphate? I have great soil, but it's very sandy about 12" down - all sorts of perennials grow well as do Australian natives usually, but exotics struggle. I'll get some dolomite, but I don't like using bought fertilizers in case they contain chemicals.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Nov 2009, 20:31

Dolomite is calcium-magnesium carbonate, not really a fertiliser, a good form of lime. It is crushed dolomite rock.

If you don't want to do that, put the parsley in pots!

I use it all the time: when a garden bed is cleaned up after harvest I spread a bit of dolomite over it, sweetens the soil.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 22 Nov 2009, 23:11

HBS Guy wrote:Dolomite is calcium-magnesium carbonate, not really a fertiliser, a good form of lime. It is crushed dolomite rock.

If you don't want to do that, put the parsley in pots!

I use it all the time: when a garden bed is cleaned up after harvest I spread a bit of dolomite over it, sweetens the soil.

That's the ingredient I was thinking of - lime. The soil in my area lacks lime. The parsley is in pots - but I'll get some dolomite.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2009, 07:14

Yup

Dolomite is a great form of lime as you add magnesium and calcium and it is not as strong as lime so safe to use even around pots. See if there is an organic nursery not too far away and buy from there.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2009, 14:05

Early this morning I started the no-dig garden plot, about a metre square.

Firstly put down thick wads (20pages thick) of old Fin Revs to act as a weed mat and covered that with peastraw to further suppress weeds, then a layer composted cow manure then potting soil. Will add some clay and further potting soil and compost. Let it sit a week or two, lightly work over and start planting understory/shade loving plants, incl a lemon myrtle.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2009, 20:48

Planted a couple of natives further extending the "native quarter." These should give a good display of flowers in spring.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 23 Nov 2009, 21:15

Supposed to be showers here over the next few days. I'll believe it when it falls from the sky.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Nov 2009, 21:17

yeah us too later in the week. seeing is believing!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby mantra » 24 Nov 2009, 12:05

Left of Centre wrote:Supposed to be showers here over the next few days. I'll believe it when it falls from the sky.

After wonderful mild weather for most of the year - Sunday hit us at 44 degrees - then the temperature halved the next day. For the last 12 hours we've had steady rain, but it's still a nice day temperature wise - perfect for growing almost anything.

What are Fin Revs?
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2009, 12:19

Fin Rev=Australian financial Review newpaper.

If you buy no other newspapers the Weekend Fin Rev is a great read, good politics, current affairs, overseas developments etc. Not cheap at $3.00 tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 Nov 2009, 19:26

I buy The Australian

Why, I don't really know.

A toilet roll is cheaper. And what's on it is probably higher quality anyway.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby mantra » 24 Nov 2009, 20:40

Why don't you read the papers online - at the moment it costs nothing, although I think Murdoch wants to start charging. Online papers survive through their advertising and if it doesn't take off - he'll lose a lot of business that is unless all online news outlets start charging.
mantra

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2009, 20:43

The FR, the only paper I read has a paywall so can't read on-line.

Fuck the Murdoch press, tabloid all of it.

Murdoch is riding for a big fall, wants to ban google from his papers. So no links for anyone to follow to give you some money from your advertisers, dick!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 Nov 2009, 21:20

Mantra wrote:Why don't you read the papers online - at the moment it costs nothing, although I think Murdoch wants to start charging. Online papers survive through their advertising and if it doesn't take off - he'll lose a lot of business that is unless all online news outlets start charging.

I do, every morning I read the headlines and a few interesting articles before heading off to work.

Then I read the free Courier Mail at smoko because that doesn't take long.

I pay Murdoch at lunchtime because I have longer to get riled up and then calm down again before going back to work. There is a computer in the lunch room (no internet at the moment) but you start to feel a bit ignorant sitting with your back to everyone that comes through.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2009, 21:26

With that big flash PC you now got, you could hang one or two less flash computers off it, then the kids could game away and you can post stuff here with only the odd slowdown to either--does depend a bit on the speed of the internet connection there. Still, posting stuff here, a bit of text is not a lot of bytes!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 Nov 2009, 21:37

Yeah, still got the old one - this modem can have 4 computers attatched apparently.

Hmm - did this get in the gardening thread?

Hot. Humid. Overcast. Still no rain.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2009, 21:42

Bloody c c c old here this evening, so went home after dog had gone thru practice ring (she was crap, ran out the ring in the recall, shortly I may be able to say how dog tastes :gsp
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2009, 21:44

Don't matter. Have bil wipe disk and install clean version of Windoze, should speed it up a bit, plug into modem/router and all systems go!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 24 Nov 2009, 21:48

Anything tastes ok when curried.

I thought about curried chipmunk when in Canada because they were annoying in many places, scampering across the roof of the RV.

You could thread six or seven on a shish kebab stick.

Chipmunk kofta's?

*no chipmunks were actually harmed during my North American trip :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2009, 21:56

hahahahahah
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby annielaurie » 25 Nov 2009, 01:39

Ewww, curried chipmunk kebabs! Ewww!

:B
annielaurie
Administrator

spamone: Animal

Postby Lefty » 25 Nov 2009, 05:54

Hey, you never know until you try Annie :mrgreen: