Gardening

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Gardening

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Dec 2009, 07:09

We are supposed to get rain tomorrow. Haven't watered today (except the Thai & sweet basil) and shouldn't need to tomorrow and Fri. Basil not growing much, need some real heat for that--35C forecast for Tuesday. Corn is shooting up like crazy tho!

Rockmelons, cucumbers etc also taking off!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Dec 2009, 11:55

Two no-dig beds I put in around an early apricot tree. Looks much better than when it was bare ground!

I love the wooly bush, looks like it is giving you the finger from hundreds of hands

In another smallpatch in front lawn is a dwarf maple (only grows to like 3m) and this spring it has really taken off!

You can see just how little I care about the lawn! I want another fall foliage tree but with yellow leaves not red, be a nice color combo! then I could kill a bit more lawn and kill a bit more by making patch bigger and planting a few perennials around the two trees. Fuck lawn!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 18 Dec 2009, 06:42

Hmm - 5mm overnight. Not much but still good for the orchids and broms as I always say. I don't think I will be painting lines on concrete at work today (that's ok, it was starting to hurt my back anyway).

Measured the big 2mm a couple of night ago, so that makes a grand total of 55mm in the past 9 months. Ah well, it'll come sooner or later.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby Lefty » 18 Dec 2009, 06:44

I see you planted a crepe myrtle. Very nice in flower.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2009, 06:47

Be even better next year when it will have grown heaps! Might get a dwarf maple to plant close the crepe myrtle.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 18 Dec 2009, 07:00

The old school I attended here had heaps of them in a big row along the front (they have been taken out to make way for the new library). They are one of the few deciduous trees we see here. About the only other one is white cedar, a local native dry scrub tree. It is broad and spreading and makes a good shade tree for parks as it is extremely drought-tollerant and deciduous for a short time only.

It grows natively from northern Australia, up through Indonesia accross to India and into the middle east - I actually have a feeling that it is the same species as the cedar of Lebanon. A VERY widespread species if that is the case.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Dec 2009, 07:08

Bloody adaptable tree if it can survive in Lebanon and indonesia and northern Australia!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 07:51

OK! Some pansy and some sunflower seeds have germinated and put out their cotylodons aka "seed leaves"! That is cool! Never grown sunflowers before!

Noticed that with the hot weather the Thai and sweet basil plants are finally starting to grow, the dwarf beans suck--old seed?--and I will buy a new packet of seed. Today I will plant onions & leeks.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 20 Dec 2009, 10:25

Finally - an inch of rain overnight. Best rainfall I have recorded in 9 months! Would be nice to see a couple of inches more before we leave.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Dec 2009, 12:43

Hmmph, no rain here

not hot tho, nice day. Hope it stays like this till 9/1--day I go back to work :bgrin
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby ele » 23 Dec 2009, 08:37

I noticed last year that stuff that usually grows in full sun did much better in part shade. Only planted a few things late this year but the same seems to apply. I am planning to plant fruit trees later on - likely to be nectarines and peaches which in the past haven't been too much trouble- apples were okay up north but I understand they need a lot of spraying down here, and I know from experience how much attention cherries need. Passionfruit are great but hard to get through the frosts. Do you have any suggestions of a good fruit or nut that doesn't take much attention or spraying to grow well?
ele
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 23 Dec 2009, 10:21

Avocado--sorry forgotten where you live.

Peaches do not need spraying for leaf curl, a second, clean set of leaves soon appear. Put two layers of birdnetting over the trees, will give the 10-15 shade they need. Here in Adelaide warm weather just as trees were flowering means fuck all fruit this year so won't bother to net. :sad
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 25 Dec 2009, 19:11

Left of Centre wrote:Hmm - 5mm overnight. Not much but still good for the orchids and broms as I always say. I don't think I will be painting lines on concrete at work today (that's ok, it was starting to hurt my back anyway).

Measured the big 2mm a couple of night ago, so that makes a grand total of 55mm in the past 9 months. Ah well, it'll come sooner or later.

Just spoke to Dad on the phone this morning - a lovely 61 mm of rain fell at my place yesterday. My lttle dam is full apparently, the swamp over the back fence is a swamp once again.

Back to tree planting when I get home :purple :purple

And mowing :sad :sad

About 3-4mm fell here at the knob, bit more would have been nice.

OK, might check in later this evening.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Dec 2009, 19:53

hahahah oh yeah, nice bit of water then sun=grass growing inches a day!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 25 Dec 2009, 21:46

Oh God yes - 17 and a half acres to do at work when I get back as well.

I noticed someone talking about passionfruit a few posts back - they are growing very well here at the knob and fruit reasonably well too. They are growing in a fairly narrow spot between the house and a sheet-iron fence so I suppose they are reasonably well protected from frost.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 25 Dec 2009, 21:49

Yup. the house protects stuff from frost for a couple-three metres around. Watering the ground well in the evening extends that a bit.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Jan 2010, 15:26

OK, several cucumbers nearly at picking stage--apple and gherkin cucumbers both and a melon or pumpkin getting there. the heat does make stuff grow quick as long as they have water.

Hmmm just now noticed this getting on nicely, a pumpkin I think, small delicate variety--for Mum, I can't bear pumpkin or its relatives like squash.

HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Jan 2010, 18:25

Mantra, please post those gardening pics you were going to post.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Jan 2010, 14:26

Sugar bananas unfurling the first few hands - jeez, they're productive. Must be nearly 50 bananas exposed at it's only the very top of the bell. Was gonna plant a whole patch of plants but I don't think we could possibly use or even give away all thr fruit we would end up with.

Got a reasonable number of mangoes, still some on the trees. Plensty of custard apples and heaps of longans now maturing - from famine to plenty!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2010, 14:30

Do you can--preserve any of that fruit? As you say, feast then famine.

Mango butter, tomato sauce, longans in syrup etc
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Jan 2010, 15:10

I think in a few years time we will have to start preserving mangoes. The trees are getting bigger. If it hadn't been for such severe drought, we would probabaly had more mangoes than we could do anything with. Mum-in-law used to bottle fruit when they lived in far north QLD and when they first moved to the knob (they bottled shitloads of apricots there). Don't really like mango chutney.

Longans in syrup with ice cream sounds like the go - yum!

Don't think I've heard of any recipe for custard apples - maybe a custard apple cheescake? I reckon a lot of these sorts of things are only limited by your imagination.

Mango, longan and custard apple wine? :f
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Jan 2010, 15:21

Of course wine! When you are in Brissy next visit a decent HBS and they should have a book by Gloria Oxford--all about making wine from fruit & veg, when you have the hang of it you will find recipes galore on the web. Also buy a 100g sachet of Lallemand EC1118 wine yeast.

Mango butter would be so luxe, spoon over icecream, toast, roasting chicken. . .

Grab a Fowler preserving kit (second hand is fine as long as they have the book for it) and fruit is easy because of the fruit acids (even sweet-tasting fruit has acid, just masked by the sugar) and this low PH allows us to preserve it.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2010, 09:51

Weather here is lovely! Raining! Just watered garden, rain should drive water a bit deeper into soil so all good! Hmmm BoM not showing rainfall overnight--still showing yesterdays figure (zero!)
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 17 Jan 2010, 18:29

Good stuff JM!

No rain here today but it is dark and thundering on the western horizon.
.Just plucked a few longans off the tree. They could do with a bit longer to be fully ripe but they're actually not too bad at the stage they are at right now - not over sweet or aromatic.

Fuckin bananas!! This thing is just spitting them out like there was no tomorrow.

Just gave brother-in-law a sucker. Gonna plant a big patch of them all at different stages of development - should have bananas for six months at a stretch!
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 17 Jan 2010, 18:38

Fresh, picked-ripe bananas hmmmm

Gloria Oxford has a banana wine I'm sure!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic