Need for Unbiased Moderators

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Need for Unbiased Moderators

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Jan 2020, 16:28

Liberals here are conservatives and the present lot are already tired, policy free, divided, corrupt etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jan 2020, 16:34

Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:I had to drill the holes thru my steel frame and run plastic conduit thru the wall and install a new power point for the NBN installation.

as has everyone else, be it fibre or coax. The nbn needs a power supply.

once again you have no idea what you're talking about
Only some may need too, U fuck wit!
It depends where the NBN connector box is to be installed.

Most contractors, try to con the installation to the outer wall near a power point.

As an occasional contractor, time is money to u, and the quality of the workmanship is not important

Chuck

you mean those with a power supply next to where they want there modem don't need to install a new power supply ... my gosh! you're a fucken genius you are.

Next thing you'll be telling me water is wet
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

spamone: Animal

Postby johnsmith » 09 Jan 2020, 16:36

SethBullock wrote:
DonDeeHippy wrote:That's why I vote for the Liberals because I like Liberal thinking :purple

*Gasp!*

the 'liberal' party in Oz are the right wingers. :WTF :WTF :WTF

our biggest left of centre party is the labor party.
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 09 Jan 2020, 22:16

yes Labor represent the working class, if you haven't figured that out, and the Liberals the monied classes.. the doctors lawyers the old money...etc... and those poor fools who WANT to be there... :roll

and it is a type of polarisation you should be quite familiar with, Seth. It is a division of classes of people. We seem insistent on tribal behaviour.. even now.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 10 Jan 2020, 08:09

pinkeye wrote:yes Labor represent the working class, if you haven't figured that out, and the Liberals the monied classes.. the doctors lawyers the old money...etc... and those poor fools who WANT to be there... :roll

and it is a type of polarisation you should be quite familiar with, Seth. It is a division of classes of people. We seem insistent on tribal behaviour.. even now.

Labor doesn't represent the people... they represent the Unions especially the bosses and of course big business like both parties do... Don't forget Labour invited adani here :) :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby Chuck » 10 Jan 2020, 14:42

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:I had to drill the holes thru my steel frame and run plastic conduit thru the wall and install a new power point for the NBN installation.

as has everyone else, be it fibre or coax. The nbn needs a power supply.

once again you have no idea what you're talking about
Only some may need too, U fuck wit!
It depends where the NBN connector box is to be installed.

Most contractors, try to con the installation to the outer wall near a power point.

As an occasional contractor, time is money to u, and the quality of the workmanship is not important

Chuck

you mean those with a power supply next to where they want there modem don't need to install a new power supply ... my gosh! you're a fucken genius you are.

Next thing you'll be telling me water is wet
As a occasional contractor, I am sure u would have tried to minimise the amount of work involved!
More then likely to advantage ur hip pocket.

The allocated contractor tried to pressure me into having the inner NBN connector box installed on the outer wall

Chuck
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 10 Jan 2020, 18:45

Chuck wrote:The allocated contractor tried to pressure me into having the inner NBN connector box installed on the outer wall

and? i had a contractor run the cable straight through a wall and into a downstairs WC on a property i used to manage. :OMG :OMG :OMG Some contractors are idiots and some are incompetent. Most do a decent job.

Who the fuck wants to put their modem in a wc? Idiot was to lazy to run the cable to another room so did whatever was quickest. He gets paid the same for an install regardless of if he takes 10 mins or 10 hours. (at the time they used to get $130 per install). You ring nbn to complain, they blame telstra, ring telstra, they blame nbn. It was ridiculous.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 10 Jan 2020, 23:54

DonDeeHippy wrote:
pinkeye wrote:yes Labor represent the working class, if you haven't figured that out, and the Liberals the monied classes.. the doctors lawyers the old money...etc... and those poor fools who WANT to be there... :roll

Labor doesn't represent the people... they represent the Unions especially the bosses and of course big business like both parties do... Don't forget Labour invited adani here :) :purple

We can argue about that but I couldn't be bothered franly. I was explaining the basic dichotomy of Australian society. We only became a country in 1901.. and that was purely down to the Shearers and the movement they started. Without Unions,?? you would either be a labourer or an overseer.
No doubt you see yourself as an overseer.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 11 Jan 2020, 21:40

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:The allocated contractor tried to pressure me into having the inner NBN connector box installed on the outer wall

and? i had a contractor run the cable straight through a wall and into a downstairs WC on a property i used to manage. :OMG :OMG :OMG Some contractors are idiots and some are incompetent. Most do a decent job.

Who the fuck wants to put their modem in a wc? Idiot was to lazy to run the cable to another room so did whatever was quickest. He gets paid the same for an install regardless of if he takes 10 mins or 10 hours. (at the time they used to get $130 per install). You ring nbn to complain, they blame telstra, ring telstra, they blame nbn. It was ridiculous.
I forced the contractor to install it were I determined was a suitable place that met NBN conditions

From my experience dealing with contractors on a State govt site, I would classify at least 90% didn’t meet the standard of workmanship specified by the contract. Rework came out of the State budget!

Both the State Coalition and Labor parties stressed that we weren’t allowed to send any private companies broke, by forcing them to do rework.

I’m aware of one engineer, that got reprimanded for sending a small company into receivership because of him holding funding for the repair under the contract guarante,

Chuck
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 11 Jan 2020, 21:58

Chuck wrote:I forced the contractor to install it were I determined was a suitable place that met NBN conditions

you can do that when you own the property ... when you're the property manager you can't sit there all day watching them. Especially when you have nbn going into multiple properties, day after day. I advised tenants to not put up with shonky work. Some did, and the install was decent, others didn't give a shit and the installers took advantage of that
Chuck wrote:Both the State Coalition and Labor parties stressed that we weren’t allowed to send any private companies broke, by forcing them to do rework.

bullshit :grn
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Chuck » 11 Jan 2020, 22:47

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:I forced the contractor to install it were I determined was a suitable place that met NBN conditions

you can do that when you own the property ... when you're the property manager you can't sit there all day watching them. Especially when you have nbn going into multiple properties, day after day. I advised tenants to not put up with shonky work. Some did, and the install was decent, others didn't give a shit and the installers took advantage of that
Chuck wrote:Both the State Coalition and Labor parties stressed that we weren’t allowed to send any private companies broke, by forcing them to do rework.

bullshit :grn
Unfortunately, these days u have to supervise tradies or contractors because they don’t care about their reputations, it’s about their hip pocket and not the quality of their work.

The good old days when u hired tradies, u could rely on professional workmanship without needing to be there has gone.

It no bullshit about contractors working for government departments, it a no go area sending contractors broke.

That is the only reason private companies appear to be cheaper! The rework that the private company should be compelled to do, is simply absorbed into the govt maintenance budget.

I’ve at least 20 years putting up with this bullshit.

Chuck
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby pinkeye » 11 Jan 2020, 22:55

Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

I forced the contractor to install it were I determined was a suitable place that met NBN conditions

From my experience dealing with contractors on a State govt site, I would classify at least 90% didn’t meet the standard of workmanship specified by the contract. Rework came out of the State budget!

Both the State Coalition and Labor parties stressed that we weren’t allowed to send any private companies broke, by forcing them to do rework.

I’m aware of one engineer, that got reprimanded for sending a small company into receivership because of him holding funding for the repair under the contract guarante,

Chuck

Just so you understand? NBN Contractors are rorting this for all they are worth.
THIS IS TRUE...

I foolishly took the NBN in MY area , quite early, believing the sales pitch. What followed was two yrs of disputes... and I HAS NO LESS THAN 6... (SIX) individual contractors attend my premises. None of them had a clue about ALL the previous... when it was simple in the end.

AND THEY ALL KNEW IT. MY HOUSE was too far from the NODE. Well beyodg recommendations... but hey I still got signed up, and paid for a service it took more than 3 years to actually provide.

I remember very well.

NOW?? it is barely adequate for my VERY LIMITED needs.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby johnsmith » 13 Jan 2020, 20:14

Chuck wrote:It no bullshit about contractors working for government departments, it a no go area sending contractors broke.

again, that's bullshit.

I was a government contractor for 15 years. Govt. departments don't give a crap about your finances. You do the work at the price you tendered, and if it's not up to specs, some of the payment is held back until it's fixed. No one asks what your finances are like beforehand, they just hold back the money.

The problem you most likely had was with workers who were just there to clock up their hours rather than do their job properly. They don't give a crap what the job looks like because it's not their place ...so they just pass everything and pay the contractors.
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Chuck » 13 Jan 2020, 22:27

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:It no bullshit about contractors working for government departments, it a no go area sending contractors broke.

again, that's bullshit.

I was a government contractor for 15 years. Govt. departments don't give a crap about your finances. You do the work at the price you tendered, and if it's not up to specs, some of the payment is held back until it's fixed. No one asks what your finances are like beforehand, they just hold back the money.

The problem you most likely had was with workers who were just there to clock up their hours rather than do their job properly. They don't give a crap what the job looks like because it's not their place ...so they just pass everything and pay the contractors.
Not so, we had quite a number of Union meetings about the workmanship and safety issues with contractors.

In the majority of cases, management simply told us to put the rework on our maintenance budget instead of pursuing the companies involved.

Chuck
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 14 Jan 2020, 17:37

Chuck wrote:In the majority of cases, management simply told us to put the rework on our maintenance budget instead of pursuing the companies involved.

Whose management? your companies?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jan 2020, 01:46

Well perhaps I should repeat my earlier post.?
OFF-TOPIC? No-ne cares.

These contractors make a fortune for supposedly fixing the issue for me... They'd come out, ask the same questions, do the same things … the longer it took the madder I got.
I'd ask the NEW tech repairer,, well you must know whats happened so what can you do now. ?? Thy'd all look at me, and say I have no idea... this is a new job. When I told the respective attendees to my property... ALL DIFFERENT CONTRACTORS doing the SAME JOB,.... that I'd already had 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 other contractors ACTUALLY ATTEND MY PROPERTY, and there was NOTHING WRONG with the set-up, they'd just shake their head. No idea of the history for your premises. :WTF One actually climbed the power pole, EVENTUALLY. ……..Nothing wrong they could find.
Every one of those contractors were paid top $ for nothing.

SO, EVENTUALLY, the 6th ? contractor said... Ta DA !! Nothing wrong with your links..... YOU are TOO FAR from the node.

So, what it means is I had actual years of conflict with a government run agency over having to pay for a service I was NOT receiving.

I will repeat.. NBN/ Telstra, paid me compensation... for 3 months, when it should have been 2 years.
It was not a good sign for me, in my role as cultural observer.

I can only say it is typical of a ramshackle government ploy for votes, that actually worked. Part of the reason they won BACK THEN, was CRAP.

BUT,, they cannot deliver a competitive (to the world) IT system.
And SADLY that incompetence is reflected across our society.

Australia is quickly slipping down the slope, when ALL comparisons of lifestyle amenity, happiness, poor education results.NAME IT we're losing ground. Govt policy has stifled the Country,, and NOW...?? Shucks, Doh,.. what happened.. :roll :purple .!!!

Hey Mr Morrison...????

GOD WON'T HELP US. YOU should resign, and disappear from all Australian PUBLIC LIFE.

Perhaps you should go into 'contemplation' at a Hillsong site.. where you can pay YOUR OWN MONEY for enlightenment and the love of GOD.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 15 Jan 2020, 17:12

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:In the majority of cases, management simply told us to put the rework on our maintenance budget instead of pursuing the companies involved.

What a wanker!

If I was a contractor that worked for the Govt or its Corporation, would I complain on the workmanship of others!
Possibly, if the remedial work would extend my contract.

I wouldn’t had mention that it had to go on the govt maintenance budget!

Chuck

Just slipping this in, for some reason when I try to reply to a Chinese Bandaid post, I keep getting a 403 error.
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2020, 20:08

Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

What a wanker!

If I was a contractor that worked for the Govt or its Corporation, would I complain on the workmanship of others!

Chuck

Just slipping this in, for some reason when I try to reply to a Chinese Bandaid post, I keep getting a 403 error.

you know there is something seriously wrong with you, right?

You said earlier

management simply told us to put the rework on our maintenance budget instead of pursuing the companies involved.

whose, or what, management 'told you'?? are you talking about a government department manager, or are you talking about a company contracting to the govt?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Chuck » 15 Jan 2020, 21:48

johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

What a wanker!

Chuck

You said earlier

management simply told us to put the rework on our maintenance budget instead of pursuing the companies involved.

whose, or what, management 'told you'?? are you talking about a government department manager, or are you talking about a company contracting to the govt?
For ur benefit, a prior post of my:

Chuck
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 15 Jan 2020, 22:11

Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:
Chuck wrote:
johnsmith wrote:

What a wanker!

Chuck

You said earlier

For ur benefit, a prior post of my:

Chuck

for fucks sake ... answer the question.

Whose managers instructed you to put rectification work onto the maintenance budget?
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 16 Jan 2020, 00:28

Out of here.. carry on with your mindless argument.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Chuck » 16 Jan 2020, 12:37

pinkeye wrote:Out of here.. carry on with your mindless argument.
:thumb For once u deserve this!

I think I’ll follow u, especially when u r talking to a brick wall!

Chuck
Chuck
Irish wolfhound

Postby johnsmith » 16 Jan 2020, 17:26

run away chucky ... it's your best option
FD.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby pinkeye » 18 Jan 2020, 00:52

yeah and it's MY best option too, sadly.

Yeah JS .
you see the emphasis on the pronounciation of to,..... is …. too, indicates my agreement with Chuck.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Previous

Return to Off Topic