What wine do you like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

What wine do you like?

Postby HBS Guy » 02 Dec 2019, 17:27

Two countries, Aust & US, both with classic wine making areas, Napa Valley In CA, Clare, Barossa,Adelaide Hills, Southern Vales, Langhorne Creek and Coonawarra areas in my state of South Australia.

I do not mind a drink made from the juice of the grape rather than the grain.

Barossa is actually too tourist–oriented but there is one winery there, dating back to the very early days, that still makes bold, gutsy reds: Saltram winery. They have vineyards on the valley floor, the “escarpment” or foothills I suppose at the eastern edge of the Valley and higher up in the Adelaide Hills but counted as Barossa, Eden Valley.

Currently “sampling” their Winemakers Selection Eden Valley Old Vine Grenach made in 2017.

Delicious! Tho it doesn’t have a head! :roll :bgrin

Held against the light the wine is lighter in color than a shiraz or cabernet tho darker than a pinot noir (which I would not buy from an SA winery, only a Tassie one.)

Aroma, alcohol—reds tend to be fairly high alcohol, this one is 14.5%abv—and dark fruit.

Taste, dry of course but not too dry (wines tend to drop to pH of 3 in fermenting, beers only go down to pH4 so wines are 100 times more acid than beer) and a generally dark-fruit flavor. With wine no bitterness so no taste at the back of the throat but there is a nice winy-fruity-dry taste on the palate and front of the mouth. (the lack of bitterness is why wine judges can spit out the wine once they have swirled it around their mouth. Heh, I was stewart at the stout table which is the biggest table, most entries. Judges bravely tackled stout after stout with a sip of water and a bit of a Jatz cracker in between beer. Then the Russian Imperial Stouts were next—told the judges to piss off for half an hour and drink lotsa water :bgrin )

This is a nice wine, Mum likes it and she does not go for the bigger, higher tannin kind of wines, so smooth and plenty aroma and flavor.

Don’t know if Saltram exports to the US. Dan Murphy liquor chain here does have some Napa Valley wines—if Seth drinks wine he could name a couple good ones and I will try to find at least one of them.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Re: What wine do you like?

Postby pinkeye » 03 Dec 2019, 00:44

Red red wine
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 05:30

Yesterday was a rare red meat day: porterhouse steak (used to be a cut sold in pubs that sold porter, George Washington used to drink porter in porterhouses.)

Anyway, meat out of the fridge an hour (no need to ensure Demi couldn’t steal it :sad ) griddlepan on high heat for 10 minutes while I chopped maters, onions, mushrooms, capsicum. Meat into pan, REAL nice sizzle :bgrin and start cooking the veg, adding some red wine near the end.

Very nice meal, washed down with some of the Saltrams Grenache.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 03 Dec 2019, 20:23

New Zealand (Marlborough) white wine, and Margaret River (WA) reds.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 20:53

Yeah, Marlborough whites to die for!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 03 Dec 2019, 22:19

I live in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, and this is also a renown wine-making area. Growing grapes for wine is a huge business here, and there are wineries everywhere.

And yet, I'm not much of a wine drinker. When I do drink wine occasionally, it is a nice red - often a cabernet sauvignon - with a hearty dinner.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Dec 2019, 22:57

Have only heard of Napa Valley. If you do feel like a nice red try and make it a Napa one and I will try and find it here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby SethBullock » 04 Dec 2019, 14:17

HBS Guy wrote:Have only heard of Napa Valley. If you do feel like a nice red try and make it a Napa one and I will try and find it here.

I know Napa is very famous for wines. Here is a typical scene from my area in the Willamette Valley foothills.

oregon-vineyard (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty

"There's only one solution: MORE guns!" - greggerypeccary

... "mr know it all" - Bongalong
SethBullock
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Dec 2019, 14:55

Yeah, we have views like that in our wine areas.

Next year I hope to do what I had sort of planned for last year: a trip to Perth with side trips to the Margaret River wine area and the Little Creatures brewery.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Dec 2019, 16:36

HBS Guy wrote:Yeah, we have views like that in our wine areas.

Next year I hope to do what I had sort of planned for last year: a trip to Perth with side trips to the Margaret River wine area and the Little Creatures brewery.

Little Creatures is good - very busy on the weekends.

Take a short drive from Perth city out to the Swan Valley and see Feral Brewing too:

https://www.feralbrewing.com.au/

Swan Valley is good for an afternoon, or day out.

Chocolate Factory, Olive Oil, Cheese Factory, German Pub, Feral Brewing, etc.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby HBS Guy » 04 Dec 2019, 17:01

Some time next year for sure.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby greggerypeccary » 04 Dec 2019, 18:33

HBS Guy wrote:Some time next year for sure.

Let me know when it gets closer, and I'll give you some tips etc.
greggerypeccary
Warthog

Postby DonDeeHippy » 07 Dec 2019, 19:15

2018 metala creek cab sav not a bad drop, a SA wine very nice :purple
Bongalong... for some reason women are just so superior to anything that ever existed or will ever exist!
DonDeeHippy
Jaguar

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2019, 19:36

Langhorne Creek, a nice little wine area.

Yup, will keep in touch with the WA contingent here.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 07 Dec 2019, 21:21

What wine do you like?

what ever one I've just finished :B
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby Lols » 08 Dec 2019, 10:11

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g1575072-Activities-c36-t132-Yarra_Valley_Victoria.html

Here I am, living in a wine district, the Yarra Valley, with so many vineyards, balloon rides, wine tasting expeditions, weddings galore.....and the wine I like....an Italian one called "Riccadonna".
Also like Lambrusca.
They are sweet, and everyone else I know has it either demi or brut, I seem to be the only one liking it sweet!!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themsleves and wiser people so full of doubts" ~ Bertrand Russell
Lols
Pitbull terrier

Postby johnsmith » 08 Dec 2019, 14:34

my wife likes riccadonna lols ... she picked that when we got married but she herself only has half a glass on special occasions. She's not a drinker. :grn
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
johnsmith
Mastodon

Postby HBS Guy » 08 Dec 2019, 15:15

Yarra Valley was one of the very first really good wine regions, good to see it is coming back—got wiped out by phylloxera.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Return to Off Topic