Psychedelics to be used medicinally within 5 years

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Psychedelics to be used medicinally within 5 years

Postby mothra » 12 Jul 2019, 17:59

Psychedelic mental health treatment expected to be approved in Australia within five years

Psychedelic therapy involving magic mushrooms or MDMA to treat mental illnesses could be five years away from regulator approval in Australia and the Victorian government is being urged to make the state a research leader in the field.

The US Food and Drug Administration recently designated the treatment as “breakthrough therapies” following successful medical trials. International trials are finding synthetic magic mushroom therapy is effective in treating depression, anxiety and addiction while MDMA (methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine) therapy is helping post-traumatic stress disorder sufferers. The treatment could receive US regulatory approval as early as 2021. The UK, Canada, Europe and Israel are also active research hubs.

In a submission to Victoria’s mental health royal commission, Mind Medicine Australia – which lobbies for psychedelic-assisted treatments for mental health – urges the state government to chip in funding to establish a centre for excellence in psychedelic medicine. It would conduct research and develop best practice and training for therapists.

Mind Medicine Australia executive officer Dr Paul Liknaitzky said the stigma around the therapy has been lifting globally in the past 15 years and there was an opportunity to play catch up.

“Australia has been pretty slow in the uptake,” he told Guardian Australia.

In an Australian-first, St Vincent’s hospital in Melbourne announced in January a psychedelic medicine trial will start this year. It is recruiting 30 palliative care patients to be treated with synthetic magic mushrooms aimed to ease the paralysing anxiety often associated with having a terminal illness. The trial is expected to start in six to eight weeks.

“We urgently need to explore new treatment paradigms and the promise of psychedelic medicines in terms of alleviation of suffering cannot be under-estimated,” St Vincent psychiatrist David Castle said.

Liknaitzky emphasised the treatment was more than just about pills and going on a trip – there was also an important element of talk therapy involved.

“The particular way participants are prepared and supported matters a lot,” he said.

Liknaitzky noted overseas follow-up studies had found 80% of participants using magic mushroom therapy to treat smoking addiction had successfully quit and the use of MDMA therapy for PTSD had a 70% success rate.

PTSD will affect one in 13 Australians in their lifetimes.

Liknaitzky said psychedelic therapy had the potential to save the health system a lot of money in the long term compared to conventional treatments. He said between one to three sessions can be effective.

He estimated the therapy could be approved in Australia in about five years.

There was a flurry of research into psychedelic therapy treatments in the 1950s and 1960s but then US president Richard Nixon launched a crackdown in 1971, classifying all psychedelics as prohibited substances. This was in the context of concern over growing recreational use of hallucinogenic drugs and the youth anti-Vietnam war protest movement.

“We owe it to every person suffering with mental illness and their families to not be held hostage by historical prejudices and to identify the best solutions available to alleviate the increasing suffering in our community,” Liknaitzky said.

American retired US army sergeant Jonathan Lubecky, who suffered crippling PTSD, has penned a letter about his experience with psychedelic therapy to the Victorian royal commission.

Lubecky was deployed to the Iraq war in 2005 and was on a military base that was mortared thousands of times. Within 60 days of returning to the US, he made five suicide attempts.

“The effect this treatment has had on my life has been nothing short of a miracle,” he wrote. “My suicidal ideation slowed and then stopped. My depression also improved greatly over time. I now lead a full and rich life.”

The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists president, John Allan, is cautious about psychedelic therapy.

“They are quite potent drugs and they have a history of causing quite a lot of trouble when they have been used recreationally in the past,” Allan told the Guardian. “There’s a very low evidence base. It’s still experimental and the exact treatment protocols have not been decided. It’s very, very, very early days.”

Allan said the royal commission should not recommend that public funding be spent on psychedelic therapy research because there were more important spending priorities in mental health. “This is a luxury item,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/jul/12/psychedelic-mental-illness-treatment-mdma-magic-mushrooms-expected-to-be-approved?CMP=soc_567&fbclid=IwAR1YHR-LIh8C2-LOS6rWBv-4Ex2C729bnAKyzaqYsNJLVUSKLq1ep56gWwI
mothra
Duck

spamone: Animal

Re: Psychedelics to be used medicinally within 5 years

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Jul 2019, 20:10

I just wish they would hurry up with stem cell therapy for arthritis.

That whinge out the way, were they not experimenting with them a long time ago?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 12 Jul 2019, 23:52

Yes, these drugs were created to assist in understanding the mind, eg LSD.. in the late '40's?

and E's.. Even MDMA.... . as we know them , were developed originally to try to manage various 'conditions'.

I only have personal experience with LSD, .... :bgrin .. and synthetic ? Mescalin ( it came in a tablet)
and of course Magic Mushrooms. Goldies, of course.

OH and POT. !! Many different types over the years.

This was self-prescribed. :bgrin

That's many many years ago now. 3 Decades + ... at least.

Saved my life. It wasn't easy but hey.. I'm still here.

The fact I am still alive ..I have to put down to the opening up of my consciousness , my bound psyche.. through smoking and using psychotropic drugs just all on my own mostly ,...……….

then, I find myself very much here. :bgrin .

All these years later AND I'm pretty healthy. Still love my pot. :bgrin Truly a resource that has been foully maligned for too long.!!

So anyway..

Had a CT Scan the other week. Of my Brain. I'm 62.
Had a wobbly session or two. Nothing dramatic.. didn't fall over , but I was aware of feeling an 'altered state'. ( Experienced as I am :bgrin ) and this was not any of that. :purple
Light was different, a bit too bright and clashing and my neck hurt and my vision seemed out of synch with my movements.

I think it could have been a sort of migraine.

I have experienced visual migraines, with associated visual disturbances, and often later, a bad pain in the eye. YUK. And I do find some TV adverts flash up different pics at a PARTICULAR SPEED.. I don't like it.. it's something I do NOT WATCH.

( hmm this has been useful, because I don't think I had associated that altered state with that type of migraine.) :thumb

So .. the Scan..

You know, ? pics of brain before and after administration of a dye to map... yeah. No drama. :bgrin

All looks pretty good....

some minor calcification of basal ganglia ?
a bit of clogging at the ends of the dendrils?
Wide ventricular spaces, but no encroachment.

:bgrin

So, that's what my GP said/ Looks good, no major concerns.

I look forward to seeing my head doc. Later this month, and I am sure he can enlighten me further.

All really fascinating actually.
:bgrin
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 13 Jul 2019, 05:20

HBS Guy wrote:I just wish they would hurry up with stem cell therapy for arthritis.

That whinge out the way, were they not experimenting with them a long time ago?

Arthritis is a lifestyle disease, take dairies, red meats, sugars and processed foods out of your diet and most arthritis goes away. It's caused by inorganic calcium build up in the body and a lack of certain vitamins which are stripped from the body by the crap diet people grovel in. Stem cells won't help, arthritis has nothing to do with the biological system, just diet and lifestyle.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Jul 2019, 09:54

Garbage. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease where the cartilage between ball and socket in a joint wears out and is not renewed. The cartilage is not well supplied with blood vessels so can’t repair wear.

I do not like fad diets.

My mother is now 98. Not many years ago she fell and bumped her head on concrete pavement. Took her to he Emergency Dept. XRays etc. Her head was fine. She would eat dairy every day pretty much. I take a medicine that has as a side effect the leaching of calcium from my bones. My osteo surgeon said my bones were soft. Off to GP, saw his locum who identified this medicine as the cause. Off to a bone density test: very slight osteoporosis. I now take Caltrate with Vit D every night. I too eat a lot of dairy. Without it my bones would have been soft and fragile.

So I will keep eating dairy, OK? Life without milk, cheese, yoghurt etc? Fuck that!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 14 Jul 2019, 02:37

Umm the subject of this topic ISN'T DAIRY.!
OR Osteoarthritis.!

Hard for you to discuss pyschedelics..? Why? .

I am ahead of this game.. I prescribed myself, instinctively, with the medicine I needed.

When I was 16. When I finally connected with something that could HELP ME.
I gained so much.

It is certainly something that has not really been looked at, because it is ILLEGAL. !

Yeah we are talking aBOUT MENTAL HEALTH. Much harder than the mechanics of the body.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby Dax » 14 Jul 2019, 10:01

Most mental conditions are caused by lifestyle and diet, psychedelics used properly can open up the mind to understanding, if approached in the right way. Have seen quite a lot of people who psychedelics affected the wrong way. Remember one occasion when at an acid party and had to talk some one out of believing they were dying, not a pleasant thing to do when you are also tripping. Then there was the time on blue meanies, when a young lady was convinced the bush was full of monsters, she really freaked out and had to isolate her with her bloke until she started to come down.

On the other hand, one night in the Victorian Alps partying with lots of friends, all tripping off their heads in a tent by a creek, took them all for a trip up a massive hill to look at the amazing spectacle of stars and did that without lights, for some reason could see in the dark and was able to navigate through bush, downed trees, across a couple of creeks and finally to the open of the hill top. Was a magnificent sight and everyone had a ball, they couldn't stop jabbering about it on the way back down the hill.

Nothing like the high you get when tripping and cruising through the Melb CBD on a motorbike, with a cool chick on the back hanging onto you in the nicest way as she enjoyed her trip. Use to take them for a blast round the Yarra river esplanade which covered a few klms and at night with no one around, you could really give it to the bike and give them a thrill they were happy to respond for.

Psychedelics should be controlled drugs, only available for certain functions and places, and strictly quality controlled. personally have no time for drugs today, but fully understand how the young can benefit from the experimentation and it can turn a good time into a fantastic time. Especially if you are tripping with some on close to you, intimacy when stoned or tripping is something else and at times absolutely amazing
Dax
Cheetah

Postby Dax » 14 Jul 2019, 10:29

HBS Guy wrote:Garbage. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease where the cartilage between ball and socket in a joint wears out and is not renewed. The cartilage is not well supplied with blood vessels so can’t repair wear.

I do not like fad diets.

My mother is now 98. Not many years ago she fell and bumped her head on concrete pavement. Took her to he Emergency Dept. XRays etc. Her head was fine. She would eat dairy every day pretty much. I take a medicine that has as a side effect the leaching of calcium from my bones. My osteo surgeon said my bones were soft. Off to GP, saw his locum who identified this medicine as the cause. Off to a bone density test: very slight osteoporosis. I now take Caltrate with Vit D every night. I too eat a lot of dairy. Without it my bones would have been soft and fragile.

So I will keep eating dairy, OK? Life without milk, cheese, yoghurt etc? Fuck that!

Hilarious, you've just proved how dairies effect you and if yo had even half a brain, you'd do some research where you'd find the countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis, arthritis, cancers, circulative disease, organ failures, are all high consumers of dairies.

Your mother would have grown up with pure dairies, not like today where they are so processed, cows are fed huge amounts of processed feeds, hormones, additives and then the milk goes through process where it is no longer milk, just crap. Long life milk ha so many chemicals it's it's virtually white chemicalised water.

Still fully understand propaganda is your lot in life, whilst facts get left behind because it doesn't suit you and you're so programmed to change anything to benefit your health. maybe take a couple of trips and learn how piss weak you really are. LSD will bring out your inner strength, or lack of it and from everything you say, you have no inner strength.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jul 2019, 16:51

My fuckwitted sister has not eaten dairy for decades, drinking that foul soy “milk.” She has osteoporosis. I, who daily take a medicine that does leach a bit of calcium from the bones, don’t.

Besides milk, cream, icecream, cheese, yoghurt etc etc are fucking delicious! You do not know what you are talking about.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Jul 2019, 17:31

As to the subject of this thread—I do not know anything about it so will not comment. I am sorry it went astray—mothra can edit the thread how she likes.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Bongalong » 15 Jul 2019, 12:15

HBS Guy wrote:As to the subject of this thread—I do not know anything about it so will not comment. I am sorry it went astray—mothra can edit the thread how she likes.

..but it says JohnSmith is the moderator of this forum?!!?
"Oi!"
Bongalong
Warthog

Postby Dax » 15 Jul 2019, 15:45

[quote="HBS Guy"]My fuckwitted sister has not eaten dairy for decades, drinking that foul soy “milk.” She has osteoporosis. I, who daily take a medicine that does leach a bit of calcium from the bones, don’t.

Besides milk, cream, icecream, cheese, yoghurt etc etc are fucking delicious! You do not know what you are talking about.[/quote

Only in the minds of fools would I not know what I'm talking about, but in the real world, the science supports what I say about lifestyle and diet. There are many medic al science surveys reviews and tests, supporting the correlation between good health and diet

"A healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise, a balanced diet, not smoking and watching alcohol intake could reduce the risk of dementia – even in those with a genetic predisposition to such conditions, researchers say."

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-of-genes

Now if you gave all these dementia sufferers an acid trip, they may come out the other end better for it. If not they wouldn't know anyway.
Dax
Cheetah

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Jul 2019, 20:48

You are not a doctor. You re talking rot about dairy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jul 2019, 20:55

Dax wrote:Most mental conditions are caused by lifestyle and diet, psychedelics used properly can open up the mind to understanding, if approached in the right way. Have seen quite a lot of people who psychedelics affected the wrong way. Remember one occasion when at an acid party and had to talk some one out of believing they were dying, not a pleasant thing to do when you are also tripping. Then there was the time on blue meanies, when a young lady was convinced the bush was full of monsters, she really freaked out and had to isolate her with her bloke until she started to come down.

On the other hand, one night in the Victorian Alps partying with lots of friends, all tripping off their heads in a tent by a creek, took them all for a trip up a massive hill to look at the amazing spectacle of stars and did that without lights, for some reason could see in the dark and was able to navigate through bush, downed trees, across a couple of creeks and finally to the open of the hill top. Was a magnificent sight and everyone had a ball, they couldn't stop jabbering about it on the way back down the hill.

Nothing like the high you get when tripping and cruising through the Melb CBD on a motorbike, with a cool chick on the back hanging onto you in the nicest way as she enjoyed her trip. Use to take them for a blast round the Yarra river esplanade which covered a few klms and at night with no one around, you could really give it to the bike and give them a thrill they were happy to respond for.

Psychedelics should be controlled drugs, only available for certain functions and places, and strictly quality controlled. personally have no time for drugs today, but fully understand how the young can benefit from the experimentation and it can turn a good time into a fantastic time. Especially if you are tripping with some on close to you, intimacy when stoned or tripping is something else and at times absolutely amazing

Yeah.
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Postby pinkeye » 15 Jul 2019, 21:05

The thing is, these days, in an illegal market, you do not know what you are getting. Back in the day... LSD was LSD!! :bgrin

From what I hear these days, it's just garbage.. who knows? Mushrooms remain a pretty sure bet, BUT, nt for me. Been there and done that and all is well.!! :bgrin

I was talking to a younger couple, who said they liked tripping, but I asked if they saw they saw the melting walls eg. they said NO.

Sounds like speed to me. :roll NOPE.. you either grow it , or have a friend who grows it. (POT) I leave the psychedelics alone now. :bgrin

I have seen some drug-fucked people recently tho.. they're all into ICE.

If they had access to decent LSD, they'd forget all about ICE.

It s the black market running this... not sensible governance or care for community..

It's all out-sourced and privatised. :WTF :grn
sleeping is good for you
pinkeye
Warthog

Return to Off Topic