What Beer Do You Like?

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.

Open to guest posting.

Moderator: johnsmith

Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Aussie » 20 Feb 2019, 20:14

Even Aussie can drink a glorious golden Belgian ale!


Been there, done that, loved it. A Beer Hall. Think I have said....and hold your breath Seth....another confession of criminal activity.

We had a great night, and when we leagve my Brother In Law (an Indian....great bloke) hands me (from under his shirt) a bloody monogrammed stein he knocked off so I could bring back to Australia...and I did. I received stolen property and then transported it into Australia.

Here 'tis.

Image

Hang me.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Aussie » 20 Feb 2019, 20:21

Crappy photo. Better one.

Image
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2019, 21:18

So what if we all try to buy:

Westmalle or Rochefort Tripel

Westmalle or Rochefort Dubbel

Duuvel

Leffe Radieuse (only beer in the whole fucking Leffe range worth drinking)

Lambic—as far as I know, no real Lambics left and I have never seen any Flemish Old Brown here.

Open to further discussions.


You don’t need to be a beer snob to critique a beer:

Look at the label and see what it says (without the advertising puffery) like:

1. Beer style

2. Special ingredients

3. Percent alcohol by volume—always on the label.

Then pour a glass and note:

4. Color—is it clear or hazy? Yeast on the bottom of bottles of bottle-conditioned ale can mix into the beer making it a bit cloudy—be careful handling the bottle.

5. Head: large/medium/small bubbles. Does the head hang around or is it gone by the time you put the bottle down?

6. Aroma and bouquet. One malt, the other hops. I forget which is which. Just smell it, does it smell citrusy or more malty?

7. Look at the head again: is it all gone, is there still a thin layer of froth?

8. Think about everything so far, write down your impressions

9. Smell the beer again, drink, a sip first then a couple good mouthfulls.

10. Look at the head: still there, is there “lace” down the side of the glass?

11. Write down your impression of the taste.

We are not scoring/rating the beers, just trying to standardise discussion.

The above are just ideas.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 22 Feb 2019, 13:02

Aussie wrote:
Even Aussie can drink a glorious golden Belgian ale!


Been there, done that, loved it. A Beer Hall. Think I have said....and hold your breath Seth....another confession of criminal activity.

We had a great night, and when we leagve my Brother In Law (an Indian....great bloke) hands me (from under his shirt) a bloody monogrammed stein he knocked off so I could bring back to Australia...and I did. I received stolen property and then transported it into Australia.

Here 'tis.

Image

Hang me.


You're under arrest.

Oh wait ... I'm retired and I'm not being paid to do that anymore.

It's your lucky day. You're free to go.

Your stein is empty, and there's a brew pub in my town ... :bgrin
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby greggerypeccary » 22 Feb 2019, 13:23

Pay close attention to the girl's shirt.



Image
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby johnsmith » 22 Feb 2019, 15:47

greggerypeccary wrote:Pay close attention to the girl's shirt.



Image



no wonder the guy has a smirk on his face :roll :roll
FD.
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.
User avatar
johnsmith
Mastodon
 
Posts: 7762
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby greggerypeccary » 22 Feb 2019, 15:58

johnsmith wrote:
greggerypeccary wrote:Pay close attention to the girl's shirt.



Image



no wonder the guy has a smirk on his face :roll :roll



Yeah, that's what I was thinking :bgrin
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby greggerypeccary » 27 Feb 2019, 17:49

"A man accused of inserting his beer bottle into a woman who was performing at a Darwin buck's night has told a court he was being "a larrikin" and has seen "worse things" than what he is accused of doing."

"Mr Willcocks told the court that he does not recall how the beer bottle came to be in the woman's vagina but thinks he must have approached her "being a larrikin" and inserted it."


https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-27/man-accused-of-beer-bottle-rape-of-bucks-performer-examined/10852584

For Texan and Seth: below, on the right, is a normal Australian beer bottle (stubbie).

On the left, is a beer bottle from Darwin.

Image
greggerypeccary
Warthog
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: 27 Sep 2017, 15:52
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Feb 2019, 20:52

It is a crap beer :rofl
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Mar 2019, 22:26

This is an Australian beer but is an American IPA in style and called Californicator.

Have a look at the brewing company: https://www.bigshed.beer/
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 13 Mar 2019, 14:18

HBS Guy wrote:This is an Australian beer but is an American IPA in style and called Californicator.

Have a look at the brewing company: https://www.bigshed.beer/


Have you tried their beers?

Ha! In Oregon, if you used to be a Californian, we call you a "Californicator". Hell, I was a Californicator a long time ago. :roll
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Mar 2019, 15:26

Tried the Californicator, was very nice, must hunt down some others.

Tried two Shepherd Neame beers, crap.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 14 Mar 2019, 15:25

I spotted this seasonal in the store today and bought it.

I came home from work today really tired and physically sore all over, and the first thing I did was pop the top, pour, take a picture for you guys, and then self medicated my soreness with a couple of swallows.

Aaaah! Mellow, gentle maltiness with a gentle and pleasing hoppy flavor.

5%, 38 IBU.

Quite clear, very fresh tasting. I annihilated it in no time. Very nice beer!

Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale.

Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Mar 2019, 16:35

That bloody does it! On return from Tassie I will look for a 15-20L esky (cooler) with tap a, buy and a 20L ss stockpot into which I will have an outlet welded to it that is threaded so I can screw on a valve, buy some malt, hops and yeast and start brewing again! Probably need new burners too.

Then I can brew again!

A mild with a lovely malty finish, an Extra Special Bitter of about 6% (OG about 1060 and like 80IBU (International Bittering Units) then cross the Atlantic and some ales with the lovely American hops, Cascade, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe and probably new ones now!

Yeah!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 15 Mar 2019, 12:01

HBS Guy wrote:That bloody does it! On return from Tassie I will look for a 15-20L esky (cooler) with tap a, buy and a 20L ss stockpot into which I will have an outlet welded to it that is threaded so I can screw on a valve, buy some malt, hops and yeast and start brewing again! Probably need new burners too.

Then I can brew again!

A mild with a lovely malty finish, an Extra Special Bitter of about 6% (OG about 1060 and like 80IBU (International Bittering Units) then cross the Atlantic and some ales with the lovely American hops, Cascade, Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe and probably new ones now!

Yeah!


Do it!! :beer
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 15 Mar 2019, 17:49

SethBullock wrote:I spotted this seasonal in the store today and bought it.

I came home from work today really tired and physically sore all over, and the first thing I did was pop the top, pour, take a picture for you guys, and then self medicated my soreness with a couple of swallows.

Aaaah! Mellow, gentle maltiness with a gentle and pleasing hoppy flavor.

5%, 38 IBU.

Quite clear, very fresh tasting. I annihilated it in no time. Very nice beer!

Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale.

Deschutes Twilight Summer Ale.JPG


5%, about 1050OG, 38 IBU, BU/OG = 38/50 = 0.76, an Ordinary bitter. Easy drinking but doesn’t mean it can’t be tasty. As the BU/OG approaches and passes 1 you are into Extra Special Bitters, bit stronger than 1050, assertively hopped. Damn, a guy called Daniels did a lot of work on style guidelines using the GU/OG ratio but I can’t locate my copy.

Daniels didn’t cover Belgian Ales and three books on Belgian beers were written. I have those.
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 22 Mar 2019, 15:19

So according to http://www.experienceitbeverages.com.au you could order these Deschutes Brews ...

Black Butte Porter - mellow and fresh tasting

Fresh Haze - This is a nice, flavorful IPA with a slight orange twist

Fresh Squeezed - For a hop lover. Very hoppy! A flavor blast here.

Mirror Pond - Their flagship IPA, very drinkable, hops but not overly hoppy, malts mellow it out, pleasing citrus, no aspect overpowering. I always buy it in bottles. It is available, according to their website, in cans. I've been drinking a couple of these tonight. Flavorful blend that nicely blends hops, malts, citrus.

Pacific Wonderland - a nice lager. Aussie might like this. Much better than straw and soapy water, so I can't guarantee Aussie will like it. But, Aussie, you should try it.

:beer
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Aussie » 22 Mar 2019, 16:02

Oops! I was contacted by that supplier you told me/us about and the beer ought to be at the retailer now. I'll go there tomorrow to grab what there is.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby SethBullock » 22 Mar 2019, 16:47

Aussie wrote:Oops! I was contacted by that supplier you told me/us about and the beer ought to be at the retailer now. I'll go there tomorrow to grab what there is.


Cool!!
"Humility must always be the portion of any man who receives acclaim earned in the blood of his followers and the sacrifices of his friends." - Dwight D Eisenhower

"At least he's not Hillary" - Hatty
User avatar
SethBullock
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1517
Joined: 22 Oct 2018, 13:37
Location: Oregon, USA
spamone: Animal

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby HBS Guy » 22 Mar 2019, 17:52

I will try and by the same beers, we can do a simultaneous tasting!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 50929
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Aussie » 23 Mar 2019, 14:48

HBS Guy wrote:I will try and by the same beers, we can do a simultaneous tasting!


Tadaaaah!

Image
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Re: What Beer Do You Like?

Postby Aussie » 23 Mar 2019, 14:50

Mirror Pond on the left Fresh Haze on the right.

That's all he had. Cost a tad over $50.00 for 8 cans.
User avatar
Aussie
Minister for Foreign Affairs
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: 13 Mar 2010, 18:25

Previous

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests