Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Feb 2018, 10:55

Breakfast today. . . .is super simple.

Sourdough bread, bit EVOO, slice smoked wagyu beef. Delicious!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 10 Feb 2018, 01:54

HBS Guy wrote:Breakfast today. . . .is super simple.

Sourdough bread, bit EVOO, slice smoked wagyu beef. Delicious!


what is EVOO..?
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
User avatar
pinkeye
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2018, 08:36

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 10 Feb 2018, 15:41

Little snack:

Provolone piccante
olives
smoked wagyu beef.


Hmmm
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 08:08

Hmm, dinner tonight........hmmm.....

I typically do a roast of some sort on Sundays. However, a shit-awful heatwave is forecast to begin impacting here today. I'll still eat hot food in hot weather but the last thing I want to do is pump the house full of extra heat from a hot oven for hours on end under such conditions.

Hmmm, thinking.......
User avatar
Lefty
Bengal Tiger
 
Posts: 16555
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 10:34

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2018, 08:11

This is why I want a pizza oven outside, yes gets, ho, errrr, warm in Tassie in summer.

Can do a roast on a BBQ kettle etc.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 08:20

Yeah, ultimately I'd like that veranda of mine extended and a kitchen put out there - you need to keep the heat out of the house for at least half the year here.
User avatar
Lefty
Bengal Tiger
 
Posts: 16555
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 10:34

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2018, 10:30

It is a great verandah. The one at Mum’s place faces north and is stinking hot in summer and in winter the wind and rain, coming from the NW, makes it too wet and windy to do anything in the verandah. The banana tree from the pup you gave me gives some nice shade in summer :thumb
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby Lefty » 11 Feb 2018, 11:29

Excellent! Has it thrown any more pups/suckers?

Just gave the Lisbon lemon and Tahitian limes a good, heavy drink. Both trees are loaded with fruit and lemons and limes are too useful to have fall off the tree from water stress :jump
User avatar
Lefty
Bengal Tiger
 
Posts: 16555
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 10:34

Re: Food thread

Postby johnsmith » 11 Feb 2018, 16:58

Lefty wrote:Yeah, ultimately I'd like that veranda of mine extended and a kitchen put out there - you need to keep the heat out of the house for at least half the year here.


travelling through rural Romania it was a common sight to see indoor and outdoor kitchens in all the houses we stayed at. Not just a BBQ, but a proper kitchen setup. Keep in mind many of these places still use wood fire cookers. Indoor one used in winter would also serve to warm up the house from the cold, summer one used outside so as to keep the heat out.
It's a good idea and one we should adopt, at least to help keep places cooler.
User avatar
johnsmith
Jaguar
 
Posts: 1826
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 22:39
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Feb 2018, 17:18

It is a prime requirement of my future Tassie kitchen that summer cooking (esp roasts, bread etc) be done outside. Brick woodfired oven, ohhhhh!!!!!!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Feb 2018, 18:23

FUCKING MUTT!

Had dinner all planned: kale, pork chops (very special ones not supermarket junk) tomato, cucumber and basil salad and sliced boiled spud to be fried in the pork fat.

Dinner well on the way, got the packet of chops out the fridge so they could warm up a bit, had to leave the kitchen. Looked for the chops. Mutt had stolen them and ate them! She is in the back porch in disgrace and will be there for a while! :S
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 13 Feb 2018, 22:59

HBS Guy wrote:FUCKING MUTT!

Had dinner all planned: kale, pork chops (very special ones not supermarket junk) tomato, cucumber and basil salad and sliced boiled spud to be fried in the pork fat.

Dinner well on the way, got the packet of chops out the fridge so they could warm up a bit, had to leave the kitchen. Looked for the chops. Mutt had stolen them and ate them! She is in the back porch in disgrace and will be there for a while! :S
++ :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

:rofl :rofl

sorry.. just I had something similar occur, only it was shopping. lovely fillet steak, etc.. MUTT now is fully restrained in vehicle.
Hey .. it is OUR fault you know.?

:rofl :rofl
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
User avatar
pinkeye
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 14 Feb 2018, 03:31

pinkeye wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:FUCKING MUTT!

Had dinner all planned: kale, pork chops (very special ones not supermarket junk) tomato, cucumber and basil salad and sliced boiled spud to be fried in the pork fat.

Dinner well on the way, got the packet of chops out the fridge so they could warm up a bit, had to leave the kitchen. Looked for the chops. Mutt had stolen them and ate them! She is in the back porch in disgrace and will be there for a while! :S
++ :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

:rofl :rofl

sorry.. just I had something similar occur, only it was shopping. lovely fillet steak, etc.. MUTT now is fully restrained in vehicle.
Hey .. it is OUR fault you know.?

:rofl :rofl


BUT
I absolutely agree that meat should only be cooked when room temp is achieved, if poss. A propitious start to a gastronomic triumph.:)
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
User avatar
pinkeye
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Feb 2018, 09:24

EVERY fucking dog is a complete garbage guts! I just happened to forget that.

Oh well, porterhouse steak, grass fed beef was YUM!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Feb 2018, 18:08

Got a yen for Vietnamese pho.

Will buy the stock ingredients tomorrow at the market, quite a bit of bones: 2.5Kg

Key to a clear broth: boil the bones a few minutes, drain and rinse the bones, rinse & wipe the pan then put the bones back and a lot of cold water and the other stuff.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/vietnamese-soup-pho
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Re: Food thread

Postby pinkeye » 20 Feb 2018, 21:03

HBS Guy wrote:Got a yen for Vietnamese pho.

Will buy the stock ingredients tomorrow at the market, quite a bit of bones: 2.5Kg

Key to a clear broth: boil the bones a few minutes, drain and rinse the bones, rinse & wipe the pan then put the bones back and a lot of cold water and the other stuff.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/vietnamese-soup-pho

a difficult soup to create. Good on you.
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
User avatar
pinkeye
Irish wolfhound
 
Posts: 600
Joined: 01 Oct 2017, 21:59
spamone: Animal

Re: Food thread

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Feb 2018, 21:45

Well, had a Chinese banquet to go to, so have not done anything yet.

I love spices.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
User avatar
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia
 
Posts: 44153
Joined: 27 Oct 2009, 15:37

Previous

Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests