Food thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Food thread

Postby Francis » 14 Nov 2017, 20:50

Sounds like a ridiculous amount of effort.

Sometimes for what it costs to buy all ingredients its cheaper and tastier to just buy pre-made

Homemade hamburger tonight and I'm not cooking :clap
Francis
Feral cat

spamone: Animal

Postby HBS Guy » 14 Nov 2017, 21:03

I do order take away sometimes but Christmass Eve is special.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Nov 2017, 16:09

Bit of a meatfest for dinner tonight.

I have 6 chicken wings marinating, will go in the oven—been doing spring cleaning and my hips said: use the oven not the smokers dickhead or we will PUNISH you! They will too, rest is a major part of reducing arthritis pain.

I also bought a feral goat neck. Browned that pretty damn good, now braising s l o w l y in passata with a bit of this and that. Also have cherry romas about to go in the oven for an hour, will add that to the sauce the goat neck is braising in.

Maybe some cucumber on the side.
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 24 Nov 2017, 19:14

Last night dinner was. . .oh really, really fancy. . .a Vilis (SA brand, bloody good bakery!) pie and a Vilis pasty for me and for Mum. I reckon instead of buying a rather crap Dominoes pizza I will do the same next time I am too bloody lazy to cook.

Tonight. . .sashimi kingfish and bluefin tuna with seaweed salad, followed by half a rock melon with prosciutto.

Tomorrow, swordfish fillet, grilled, with English spinach.

Sunday (and Monday, Tuesday. . .) roast turkey breast. Roast potato or roast sweet potato, whole head of garlic, parsnip, carrots etc.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 27 Nov 2017, 22:10

Ahahahaha in Tanunda yesterday I looked at the index in this big, fancy and expensive book on gelato looking for a recipe for orange or blood orange gelato. Nope. My trusty “Gelato” by Linda Tubby (real name but oh so apt!) had one.

So, will make a practice go. Will also make a lemon gelato. At the market tomorrow will look for Dutch cocoa (the only cocoa worth buying) so I can make chocolate gelato just before Christmass.

300ml orange juice the recipe calls for, Might make the gelato too strong flavored. Will see.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2017, 12:43

Weather in Adelaide being a bit cool and wet I suddenly decided to cook a pizza for dinner tonight. So bought a few prawns, a salmon fillet some nice stuffed olives, buffalo mozzarella, compressed yeast and some pecorino.

Will make the pizza dough in a minute, let it ferment until dinner time.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2017, 15:07

Pizza dough made.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2017, 15:26

Now dog bathed—to the Oscar level pathos of “You aren’t going to put me in that clean warm water are you?—oh, a retired batchelor’s work is never done :sad

:rofl
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2017, 17:18

Thinking too much about the work that has to be done to the block—what trees, where, what soil preparation needs to be done etc, $$$ needed etc—I made the pizza dough as I said, covered it up to rise. A while ago I checked them—hadn’t risen. OK, took the bowl with the dough and put it in my car—cars are like greenhouses, a good place to rise do. As I was putting the bowl on the seat a thought hit me: I hadn’t added the yeast! I hadn’t. Shit!'

So, brought the dough back inside, found the compressed yeast (brewers yeast) and crumbled it and spread it over the flattened out dough, rolled it up and massaged it, reformed the balls, put them back in the bowl and bunged that back in my car: it is working, the dough is rising! Phew!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2017, 21:06

Ohhhhh I am dry roasting the tomatoes that will go on the pizzas, shoved slices of garlic in them. Ohhhhhhh the most gorgeous, garlicky smell is ASSAULTING my nostrils! Gonna be GREAT pizza!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 07 Dec 2017, 22:49

Pizzas were fucking YUM!

Salmon makes a fucking RICH and TASTY pizza!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 11 Dec 2017, 12:40

Be making the custard for Gelato crema late this afternoon, put that in the fridge overnight.

EIGHT fucking large egg yolks go into it plus 300ml double cream. Also, yum yum yum some cointreau.

Tomorrow split the gelato crema custard into two, add 300ml of my canned blood orange juice. Day after—make lemon gelato with the juice of 3 lemons.

Be nice!

I could churn both gelatos tomorrow but have mislaid parts of one of my icecream machines.

Might make the crema gelato custard in two half lots.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Dec 2017, 08:17

Sunday I cooked chicken in passata. Added way too much passata. , herbs, chicken and mushroom had cooked in the pasata for an hour, be nice and rich I reckon. Saved the surplus passata, about 400ml, in a jar.

Last night, mixed the passata with 500ml Campbells chicken stock (a crap stock BTW, make your own!) and heated that up. While that was heating, grated Parmesan and Cheddar cheese, chopped some more parsley and basil, put these in bowls. Fried some bread in olive oil for croutons, put that in the bowls too. Tasted the now simmering soup, added more salt and grated more black pepper into it, ladled it into the bowls—bloody beautiful and filling!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Dec 2017, 21:01

Churning a batch of blood orange gelato using some of the blood orange juice I canned.

Nice, tangy. Unfortunately a bit grainy—the custard formed a skin which I beat back into the custard. Next time I will use my cuisinart hand mixer, get it more smooth. Can’t remember any other custard forming a skin.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Dec 2017, 21:18

Gelato is in the freezer. Yeah, tastes nice, not AT ALL like the commercial blood orange gelato I sometimes buy.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby pinkeye » 13 Dec 2017, 00:16

Ummm .. for some reason I recently purchased just over .750 kg of frozen goat pieces. On the bone. :roll :purple :OMG

I'm thinking Goat Curry.. and I have lots of spices and things.

Does anyone have a fave Goat Curry recipe to share?.

I've been told that it is sweeter than Lamb, but have never tried it. I was going to wing it, sometime soon, and then thought , ah ha
I'll ask Food Thread. :yak yak
sleep is bliss: do it as often and for as long as you need.
pinkeye
Pitbull terrier

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2017, 07:29

You got Indian and Thai lamb curries—or just wing it.

Fry some garlic, add onions, add red curry paste, the goat, coconut milk. . .

Hope it is feral goat.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 13 Dec 2017, 09:06

pinkeye wrote:Ummm .. for some reason I recently purchased just over .750 kg of frozen goat pieces. On the bone

goat is great in a tomato based pasta sauce ... the trick is to let is simmer in the sauce slowly for 5 or 6 hours, keeping an eye on it and occasionally adding a bit of water when it gets to thick.
johnsmith
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2017, 09:23

I did that with a feral goat neck, bastard got tougher as I cooked it. Hmmm didn’t cook it for 5 hours tho, more like two.

Tough cuts of meat after long slow cooking taste better than steak!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 13 Dec 2017, 09:26

HBS Guy wrote:I did that with a feral goat neck, bastard got tougher as I cooked it. Hmmm didn’t cook it for 5 hours tho, more like two.

Tough cuts of meat after long slow cooking taste better than steak!

mum used to make the sauce for pasta first thing in the morning, and then left to simmer all day. You get much more depth of flavour that way.
johnsmith
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2017, 09:34

I need a decent slow cooker. The Kambrook one I have burns the apple hmm sauce I made as I tried to cook it down into apple butter.

Fruit butters, fruit turned into a sauce then cooked down until it has the consistency of soft butter is a European invention but these days only the yanks do it, same with home smoking of meat and fish—the meanest supermarket in the US will have apple butter on its shelves. Quince etc paste can be likened to cheese, just to continue the analogy.

So—any idea on a decent slow cooker?
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 13 Dec 2017, 11:00

[quote="HBS Guy"

So—any idea on a decent slow cooker?[/quote]

I don't use slow cookers. I use a thermal cooker. Just start the cooking process on the stove top for 5 minutes, transfer pot into thermal cooker and leave it. It requires no heat source, no power supply, no nothing. It uses the residual heat you build up on the stove top to continue the cooking process. You CAN'T burn the food. You can even put it in the back of the car when going on long trips or camping and by the time you get there, dinner is ready.
johnsmith
mountain lion

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Dec 2017, 11:19

That used to be called a “hay cooker” because hay was used to provide the insulation.

Lefty has one where you put some boiling water in the base, put the part with the food on top, seal it—food keeps hot anc continues cooking. We ate a stew of some sort for lunch on my second trip to the gemfields—was still lovely and hot.

But I need a slow cooker for apple butter. I did have one but inevitably it stopped working, no luck since. There is an American one but it is $200 or so now.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby johnsmith » 13 Dec 2017, 11:39

HBS Guy wrote:That used to be called a “hay cooker” because hay was used to provide the insulation.

Lefty has one where you put some boiling water in the base, put the part with the food on top, seal it—food keeps hot anc continues cooking. We ate a stew of some sort for lunch on my second trip to the gemfields—was still lovely and hot.

But I need a slow cooker for apple butter. I did have one but inevitably it stopped working, no luck since. There is an American one but it is $200 or so now.

the one I have has three pots, one full size, which you can use for a big meal, and two half pots to use for different foods or small meals (or deserts). When using the half pots if you only need one, then you need to fill the other with boiling water.
johnsmith
mountain lion

Previous

Return to Off Topic