Fossicking thread

For chatting about non-political topics.

Hot topic: The perils of exercise, Lapidary, food, gardening, brewing & Gallipoli/Anzac Day.

Special feature: WWIi Operation Manna/Chowhound.
Forum rules
The rules for this board are in the Charter of Moderation. Off Topic is for fairly serious discussion of things other than politics and current affair.

Re: Fossicking thread

Postby Aussie » 27 May 2017, 15:57

Lefty wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:My lovely big stoneware bottle. The green ruler leaning against it is 18"/45cm long.

It has picked up some signs of wear and tear but since it is 99.9% as it was made and it was an industrial item who cares?

Erm....I think the photo is missing?

I thought the same but put it down to being blind and not seeing something which was there, so I shut up.
Aussie
Hero of the Soviet Union

Postby HBS Guy » 27 May 2017, 16:49

Aussie wrote:
Lefty wrote:
HBS Guy wrote:My lovely big stoneware bottle. The green ruler leaning against it is 18"/45cm long.

It has picked up some signs of wear and tear but since it is 99.9% as it was made and it was an industrial item who cares?

Erm....I think the photo is missing?

I thought the same but put it down to being blind and not seeing something which was there, so I shut up.

Sure sure Aussie I buy that :roll
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 31 May 2017, 06:14

HBS Guy wrote:Hahaha so it was Lefty! Hereitis!

The perfect moonshine jug! :bgrin
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 31 May 2017, 08:18

It would hold a LOT of moonshine!
Abbott & Co are going to cause the mother and father of all recessions—be prepared!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 03 Jun 2017, 14:44

Put a nice glass lampshade on Layby. It is $120, I put $20 down, just to make sure no other bastard can buy it this weekend. Should have some money come in Wed morning and will pay the $100 and grab it then.

Looked at dinner sets there too. Is one, $690, 8 settings plus spares. Be nice as a 6 person set with more spares. Not really wowed by the decoration on it, rather insipid I thought.

Was a Royal Doulton set, at first glance I didn’t like it but at a closer look I thought it was OK. But not suitable, soup bowls were stupid, wide and shallow. Nah.

No hurry anyway. Will prefer to buy some nice crystal wine glasses, keep looking at what they have in the way of dinner settings as some get sold and new ones come in.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 31 Jul 2017, 20:20

Yesterday I bought a very old toffee tin. Is in pretty good nick tho some rust, a minor ding and one side is faded. Still interesting enough.

My fave Ebay seller has two more old toffee/chocolate type tins. Told her I would buy them.

None hugely old but nice.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Aug 2017, 23:44

Earlier I described buying a doll house lounge suite for Milly. Was in that same shop a couple weekends ago and the bloke there showed me a box full of bits of doll house furniture, $10. Of course I bought it!

Today visited niece and great niece and gave her the box of stuff. She sat there for nearly half an hour taking each piece out, looked it over and put it in her doll house. I guess she was happy with what I brought :bgrin

A bit later I asked her if she could still count and she said yes. I pulled a handfull of coins and put them down one by one while she counted them. I suggested she get her money box which she did. While she was out the room I pocketed one of the coins then we counted the coins into the money box. Didn’t notice there was one less coin :zzzz but I told her and told her to be careful with money. Can’t teach them too early.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 12 Aug 2017, 20:48

Ships, well at least before ubiquitous radar, showed lights on either side:

PORT AND STARBOARD LIGHTS
Here's a useful mnemonic phrase for placing marine navigation lights (red and green) correctly on each side of a vessel:

"Port wine should be left alone when it is red"
(ie. port (left) red, so starboard (right) green).

The phrase is a reminder in two basic ways:

Side: When on deck and facing the front of the ship, the "port" side is always to the left, just as after dinner port wine is always traditionally passed around the table to the left.
Colour: The "port" light is always red, just as port wine is always red.
Chris Berkeley of Seven Hills, NSW (Australia) sent an e-mail in 2005 with a better way to remember:
"Port is always left at sea, but never left at dinner".

Other simple ways to recall port and starboard sides are:

"StaRboaRd is Right." (ie. 2R=Right)
"The ship's left port!"
"Starboard" was originally "steerboard", referring to the side on which the steering rudder was hung on Viking ships.The "port" side used to be called "larboard" in earlier times, so one can also remember "Larboard and StaRboaRd" (ie. L=L, RR=R). The term "larboard" was officially dropped in favour of "port" by international agreements in the 19th century, to avoid confusion between the similar-sounding calls.

Incientally the term "posh" (meaning wealthy or upper-class) originated as an acronym P.O.S.H. (standing for "Port Out, Starboard Home") used by booking staff on British cruise-liners to describe the cabin arrangements for rich passengers wanting the sunny (southern) side of the ship on Atlantic crossings out to America and back.

A separate page contains mnemonics for marine traffic rules, which involve the correct reading of navigation lights at night.

The light (a modified or special purpose hurrican lamp) with a half cylinder of glass in front of it to give the red or green color.

I bought a lamp like this today (well, put it on layby) and it is nice and rusty and crusty but missing the red glass.

Will give it all a good clean, it is filthy dirty and polish the copper parts. How to get the red glass, dunno. There is a mirror behind the wick and chimney, might need to get it resilvered.

Photos later.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 13 Aug 2017, 09:12

Nice find there, but where to get another bit of red glass? Must be someone who could make you up one?

Pretty sure all ships still have the port and starboard lights even today.

Yeah, I'd heard that "larboard" was dropped in favour of "port" because it was easy to get them confused when trying to listen during a storm, resulting in deckhands racing to the wrong side of the ship, just when they were desperately needed on the other side.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 13 Aug 2017, 12:37

Yeah, I will see if there are any glassmakers around who could do it.

Be nice in the covered atrium, nice and crusty and I can see a use for it: fill the base of the lamp with lamp oil (NEVER kerosene!) and oil of citronella—keep mozzies at bay! For the same purpose I will have some tansy in and around the atrium: it is one of the medieval strewing herbs they used to keep fleas etc at bay :jump

Tansy was used in some gruit ale recipes but it is also an abortifacient so not good for pregnant women to drink.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 16 Aug 2017, 11:49

Now that's one thing I never tried - replacing hops with other types of bittering herbs.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 16 Aug 2017, 14:15

Neither have I! Some of the ingredients are carcinogenic! Put me right off the idea of making a batch or two of gruit ale!

The Medieval English Church had a monopoly on gruit ingredients—ale was expensive! Then Flemish people migrated to England—and brought their hops with them! Hops, won out after quite some time, the Church not wanting to lose its gruit revenue. But hops are antibacterial so ale could be kept longer and ale went down in price due to hops being freely available.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 18 Aug 2017, 13:37

Hops, won out after quite some time, the Church not wanting to lose its gruit revenue. But hops are antibacterial so ale could be kept longer and ale went down in price due to hops being freely available.

Bet that phukked em! :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 18 Aug 2017, 19:16

The church wasn’t very happy for sure!

Progress will happen tho.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 19 Aug 2017, 07:14

Two places I don;t feel too bad usually - my own home and out in the bush, it's peaceful out there. Heading down to Lowmead today to dig some holes, maybe today I will finally find that elusive deposit of good crystals :jump

Maybe.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Aug 2017, 16:12

Best of luck, Lefty!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 19 Aug 2017, 16:21

Went to the Strathalbyn Antiques Fair this morning, hoping to get some furniture or building stuff, nope nope nope.

Got a nice little kitchen scale, brass mounted on a wooden board. Will take the scales off, remove the scale from the board, clean and polish the brass scale and pans and weights (have 2 x 4oz weights, obviously an 8oz weight is missing) and sand and revarnish the base. Look quite nice on my kitchen dresser. Now I am on a mission to find a 8oz weight!

Got a nice little old tin (Burdall’s Gravy Salt, whatever the fuck that is) and a model Peugeot truck. Didn’t get what I really wanted tho :sad
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 20 Aug 2017, 09:14

Finally found a piece worth faceting. Several actually. A few nice, well-formed, well-coloured crystals about an inch and a half long, too cracked for faceting but good specimens for rock displays. Then up popped two Rose-de-France (very pale pink-purple) bits with a slight smoky tint, both of which look to contain faceting material. Then right at the bottom of the hole (this is only a foot deep because it's on solid granite) was a nice crystal about 1.5 inches long that looks to have a good-sized section clean enough to facet - a very nice colour, an intense deep purple with no smoky tints. Might get a nice stone out of it.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 20 Aug 2017, 19:21

Sounds like you did fine!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 05 Sep 2017, 07:27

Took a young, aspiring fossicker just moved here from Tassie down to Lowmead on Sunday. Didn't find much of not but he was pretty excited to find all these shiny crystals. He found one smoky crystal that will facet a little stone which I am going to cut for him.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 05 Sep 2017, 08:51

He is gonna love theQld summer!
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 06 Sep 2017, 07:57

Oh yeah, he'll understand the meaning of "tropical humidity" alright! :jump

That smoky finished up a nice little stone. Probably be the first faceted stone in his collection.
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

Postby HBS Guy » 06 Sep 2017, 10:57

Nice.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby HBS Guy » 09 Sep 2017, 20:21

Had a great day!

Breakfast at Fleurieu Harvest, slightly rough and ready but nice enough and cheap. Bought some bread there too—had forgotten on Thursday at the Market! FH is just outside Mt Compass where there is a nice antique shop. didn’t buy anything but saw a couple nice items I might buy Friday. One item is a ruggered and buggered kitchen dresser, not too big. Excellent for storing dishes etc for food eaten in the conservatory. Not even going to clean it. (Inside will be cleaned, of course.) There is also a cane invalid chair. Dunno the price, would not mind buying it and getting the cane repaired.

On to Pt Elliot! Paid the balance of the layby on the port light. Felt rich so bought a nice little square fat lava piece. Nice bright red—and square! OK, done that stuff Pt Elliot, on to Strathalbyn. Strathalbyn was the honey hole!

To my fave little shop, where I bought the hallstand a few months ago. Bought an old print press table. An industrial piece, has two small drawers. Doesn’t take up much space but has two drop sides. The legs of the table are splayed—gives more strength supposedly. The top is marked—some Dame Booby must have spilled ink or glue so the top is marked. Going to leave it like that: the table is what it is and is old and performed good service, leave it like that. Maybe a coat of varnish, just to protect the surface. Was priced at $590, argued it down to $525. Wonderful what a bunch of $50 notes can do :bgrin

In another shop I like to go to there was a brass oil lamp with a smoked glass shade. $350, quite a good price. Probably get that cleaned professionally too. Haven’t bought it but will stick it on layby on Friday. Everything I have been looking for, nice that it is brass and it has that smoked glass shade. Looks nice, handy in case of blackout.

Finished early, niece wasn’t home—off to Langhorne Creek! Lovely lunch, some fantastic ice cream to finish! Had a glass of wine with lunch, liked it so much I bought four bottles of it! Buy some more on Friday.
HBS Guy
Tractors to Australia

Postby Lefty » 13 Sep 2017, 08:23

I think you really are going to need an extra building on your block to serve as a museum :jump
Lefty
Bengal Tiger

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic